1.1

Everybody stared at Elise. They, including Eurytion, didn't know she would talk.

"I know you don't know me and I don't you, but you need to let of the past. I have experienced the same. My father got killed and I was angry, but then I realized I couldn't do anything about it. What has been done always happens for a reason." spoke Elise.

"Who are you to tell me what to do," demanded Nico. Elise shrunk back ever so slightly.

Percy noticed and wanted to say something to Nico, but he didn't want to anger him more. He stared at the flames in the barbecue pit. He thought about the lines in Annabeth's prophecy: To find the lost magic, Only for it to end it in tragic. You shall rise or fall by the ghost king's hand. That had to be Minos, and he had to convince Nico not to listen to him. As for the lost magic, Percy didn't have any idea for it. It could have been Elise, but he wasn't so sure.

"Let's ask Bianca." The sky seemed to grow darker all of a sudden.

"I've tried," Nico said miserably. "She won't answer."

"Try again. I've got a feeling she'll answer with me here."

"Why would she?"

"Because she's been sending me Iris-messages," Percy said, suddenly sure of it. "She's been trying to warn me what you're up to, so I can protect you."

Nico shook his head. "That's impossible."

"One way to find out. You said you're not afraid." Percy turned to Eurytion. "We're going to need a pit, like a grave. And food and drinks."

"Percy," Annabeth warned. "I don't think this is a good—"

"All right," Nico said. "I'll try."

Eurytion scratched his beard. "There's a hole dug out back for a septic tank. We could use that. Cyclops boy, fetch my ice chest from the kitchen. I hope the dead like root beer."

"Sorry to intrude, but can I get my daggers back?"

***

The moon was full. Silver clouds drifted across the sky.

"Minos should be here by now," Nico said, frowning. "It's full dark."

"Maybe he got lost," Percy said hopefully. Nico poured root beer and tossed barbecue into the pit, then began chanting in Ancient Greek. Immediately, the bugs in the woods stopped chirping. In Percy's pocket, the Stygian ice dog whistle started to grow colder.

"Make him stop," Tyson whispered to Percy. Part of him agreed to Tyson. This was not normal for Percy, but when is it ever normal? He stared at Elise to see her reaction, but there was nothing.

The night air felt cold and menacing. But before Percy could say anything, the first spirits appeared. A bundle of mist seeped out of the ground. Eventually, the mists formed into human body shapes. One of them knelt down to the edge to drink.

"Stop him!" Nico said, momentarily breaking his chant. "Only Bianca may drink!"

Percy drew Riptide as Elise drew her black daggers. The ghosts retreated with a collective hiss when they saw their weapons. But it was too late to stop the first spirit. He had already solidified into the shape of a bearded man in white robes. A circlet of gold wreathed his head, and even in death his eyes were alive with malice.

"Minos!" Nico said. "What are you doing?"

"My apologies, master," the ghost said, though he didn't sound very sorry. "The sacrifice smelled so good, I couldn't resist." He examined his own hands and smiled.

"It is good to see myself again. Almost in solid form—"

"You are disrupting the ritual!" Nico protested. "Get—" The spirits of the dead began shimmering dangerously bright, and Nico had to take up the chant again to keep them at bay.

"Yes, quite right, master," Minos said with amusement. "You keep chanting. I've only come to protect you from these liars who would deceive you." He turned to Percy as if he were some kind of cockroach.

"Percy Jackson...my, my. The sons of Poseidon haven't improved over the centuries, have they? And Elise Rose Prior, what a shame. You brought your mother great mortification." Elise furrowed her eyebrows when he mentioned her mother. She didn't exactly know who she was. Percy wanted to punch him for himself and Elise, but he thought his fist would go through him.

"We're looking for Bianca di Angelo," stated Percy. "Get lost."

The ghost chuckled. "I understand you once killed my Minotaur with your bare hands. But worse things await you in the maze. Do you really believe Daedalus will help you?" The other spirits stirred in agitation. Annabeth drew her knife and helped Percy keep them away from the pit. Grover got so nervous he clung to Tyson's shoulder. Even Elise raised her daggers again.

"Daedalus cares nothing for you, half-bloods," Minos warned. "You can't trust him. He is old beyond counting, and crafty. He is bitter from the guilt of murder and is cursed by the gods."

"The guilt of murder?" Percy asked. "Who did he kill?"

"Do not changed the subject!" the ghost growled. "You are hindering Nico. You try to persuade him to give up on his goal. I would make him a lord!"

"Enough, Minos," Nico commanded.

The ghost sneered. "Master, these are your enemies. You must not listen to them! Let me protect you. I will turn their minds to madness, as I did the others."

"The others?" Annabeth gasped. "You mean Chris Rodriguez? That was you?"

"The maze is my property," the ghost said, "not Daedalus's! Those who intrude deserve madness."

"Be gone, Minos!" Nico demanded. "I want to see my sister!" Yet, Minos was still there. His presence was still there, clinging on to the small hope he would stay longer.

"Be gone, spirit!" shouted Elise.

The ghost bit back his rage as he soon started fade even more.  "You cannot trust these heroes."

Other spirits rushed forward, but Annabeth and Elise kept them back.

"Bianca, appear!" Nico intoned. He started chanting faster, and the spirits shifted restlessly.

"Any time now," Grover muttered. Then a silvery light flickered in the trees—a spirit that seemed brighter and stronger than the others. It came closer, and something told Percy to let it pass. It knelt to drink at the pit. When it arose, it was the ghostly form of Bianca di Angelo.