CHAPTER 2

Tick, tock, tick, tock...
The clock was mocking him, all he heard was the seconds passing by. Each second that passes is a second that could be used on something productive. He could be spending working on his plan for Congress, but instead he was in Maria's house, sitting down with a hot cup of tea in front of him, that he still hasn't touched. The steam rises from the cup and fills my senses. Maria is the kitchen, making another cup for herself, Alexander gets a good view of her as she makes it. Her hair swaying, when her body moves. Her hips swaying as she walked. She walked into the sitting room where Alexander was, cautiously trying not to spill her tea onto the floor. She placed on the table in front of them and sat next to Alexander. Alexander could feel his stomach tying in a knot, sweat forming on his forehead, not knowing what to do next.
"Thank you for inviting me into your home, Maria, it's very kind of you." He said trying to mask how he's actually feeling.
"It's the least I could do."  She says with a smile. Silence fills the air again, she looks at him seductively in a way that's almost uncomfortable.
"Maria, why do you stay with your husband if he hurts you all the time?" He says to break the silence.
"I don't stay for him, I stay for my son James. I don't have enough money to move out and live comfortably with my son so I stay here." She pauses. "No one will lend me any money to help me." She looks down into her lap and twiddled her fingers.
Alexander pulls out his checkbook, He writes in it, and gives it to Maria.
"Here is a loan of thirty dollars, excuse the amount it's all I can give you."
"Thank you sir!" She hugs him, making Alexander jump a little.
"Alexander." She lets go from the hug and is a foot away from his face.
"What?"
"I never told you my name before, so.."
"Well I think sir works best." She says, a lips distance away from him. She looks into his eyes and then back to his lips. She grabs his collar and pulls him into her and she kisses him. Alexander quickly pulls away.
"Maria, we can't. I have a wife, and a son who I love." He backs away a little.
"You want to help me don't you?" She grabs his jacket collar again.
"Yes."
"Then help me." She crashes her lips into his. The kiss slowly gets more intense and Alexander tries his best to resist, every time he pulls away she kisses him even harder and more passionately. He stops resisting and begins kissing her back, he puts his hand on her lower back and the other on her cheek. Maria puts her hands through Alexander's soft raven hair. Alexander knows this is wrong, but in this moment everything feels right. Alexander is totally under Maria's spell, which is exactly what she wanted. She takes his hand and leads him to her bedroom, Alexander forgets all about his task that's waiting for him at home, Eliza and Phillip and all his other duties that night. Later that evening Alexander is sleeping next to Maria, his hair spread across the pillow, in sound slumber. Maria looks at him while he sleeps, it's apparent to her that he's very handsome. He hasn't shaved in a while but that didn't bother her, it suited him. His hair shoulder length, black as ebony. His lips a straight line across his face, his chest rising and falling as he inhales and exhales. In that moment, she felt bad that she had to take advantage of him, she felt a certain way about him. Put she couldn't put her finger on it. He intrigued her. But she thought about what this could mean for her and her son, they could have a good life away from James. She could be with a good man who has a good job. She would be abused no more, but a part of her wanted it to be someone else, someone else who had to be manipulated, someone besides Alexander. Guilt hits her hard. She lays on her back until she drifts of into sleep.

__________________________________ ♡ ___________________________________________

The next morning, Alexander woke up not knowing where he was, he wasn't in his own bed. Then he remembered. All the memories came rushing back, Maria kissing him, him kissing back. How could he do this? To Phillip? To Eliza? He knew he had to leave, and that no one could know about this. He quietly got up and put on his shirt and his emerald jacket. Then he saw Maria in the doorway. Even without makeup she was still beautiful, her hair was a bit disheveled but it still looked pretty. She was only wearing her corset and her underskirt. Hamilton quickly put on his pants and tried to ignore her.
"Rise and shine sleeping beauty." She teased. He walked straight past her and Maria noticed he wasn't amused. His behavior was different from last night which confused her. 

"Where are you going?" She asked following him.

"This can't happen again." He said heading toward the front door, then turning to face her.
Maria was shocked and hurt, he could see it on her face.
"But I thought-"
"No! Maria, this-this was a mistake, I can't see you again, ever!" He said angrily. He opened the front door and she grabbed his arm.
"No please don't go sir!" She cried, he voice shaking. Alexander turned and looked at her, she looked so helpless.
"Don't leave me alone! He'll kill me!" Tears rolled down her cheeks, Alexander felt sorry for her, but he couldn't ruin his reputation or his relationship with Phillip and Eliza. He looked at her, she was broken and he could see it. Her heart was shattered, her eyes full of fear. He felt bad, but he couldn't see her again, not ever.
"I'm sorry Maria, but we can't do this, I can't see you ever again. Goodbye." He walked out the door and closed it behind him. Maria collapsed to the floor, she began to sob, her head in her hands. Then she heard the floor creak behind her, that's when she knew it was him.
"Where is he?" James stood behind her, he towered over her, Maria jumped at the sound of his voice.
"He's gone." She mumbled.
"What?! How could you let him escape!" He shouted at her, grabbing her by the arm. Maria didn't answer she kept her head down, and this infuriated James. He pulled her by the hair so that he could see her face. He said:
"ANSWER ME! I KNOW YOU HEAR ME TALKING TO YOU!" This made her cry more, she couldn't breathe, her hands began to shake. She thought that this was the end, he was going to kill her right then and there.
"I don't know." She mumbled.
"I asked you to do one thing, AND YOU FAIL ME!" He pulls her hair tighter, making Maria shut her eyes tight, and just wait until it's over. He finally lets go of her, letting her head fall. Relief fills her, but she knows it's far from over.
"You're a disgrace you know that, a nuisance!"
"But I got the money like you wanted! It's right here!" She pulls the check out of her pocket, her hands shaking as she gives to him. He snatches it out of her hand, and smirks at the sight of it.
"Well, can I see him?" She asks.
"See who?"
"My son!"
"No." He begins to walk away from her and is heading towards the front door.
"But you promised that if I-"
"No, I promised only if he stayed here, but he left." He pauses. "Lure him back in, and ask for a loan again, and maybe, maybe, you can see him. If you don't.." He pretends to slice his throat with his finger. "You have until tommorow."
"Tommorow! But that's not-"
"TOMMOROW! AND THAT'S FINAL!" He walks out the front door and slams it so hard, Maria felt the house shake.
Maria buried her head in her hands and sobbed, partially because she didn't get to see her son. She had to hurt Alexander again. He's been everything but rude to her, and she has to take advantage of him. Her heart swelled whenever she thought of him. She cared about him and she couldn't deny that.