CHAPTER 8

The end of the summer is fast approaching. Maria began to feel sad, she didn't know what she was going to do after the summer. She loved Alexander and didn't know what she would do without him. Her home has haunting memories and she has no family members left. She stared out of her bedroom window waiting for Alexander to return from his duties. She couldn't wait any longer so she decided to go downstairs and make him a snack that he can eat when he gets back. She heard the door open, so she went to the foyer.
"Alexander I made-" She sees James, he looks exactly like he did in her dream. She pinched herself hard, but he wouldn't go away. This is real life. This is really happening...
"What are you doing here?" She asked backing away from him.
"I know you told him about our scheme."
"It's not our scheme anymore you're on your own."
"Why did you tell him?!"
"I couldn't lie to him anymore, you were wrong...he does love me."
"YOU ARE MARRIED TO ME! YOU MADE A PROMISE TO ME!" He screamed. He clenched his teeth and pulled out his pocket knife.
"If I can't have you, no one can." He switched the blade and moved towards me.
"James, don't!" He didn't listen to her, he kept moving his face full of anger and determination. She has never seen him like this, he has reached his breaking point. He has gone insane.
Maria began to scream, but James ran over to her to cover her mouth. He then put the blade on her neck, making Maria's breathing quick.
"Shhh...." He said. "We don't want anyone to hear." The way he said this made Maria shiver. He made her go upstairs into her bedroom. He put the knife away and pushed her down onto the bed. He ripped her dress off, leaving her only in her undergarments. She whimpered trying to cover herself. James looked her up and down, Maria felt so exposed. His gaze frightened her, he has never seen someone look at her so intimately. He walked behind her and whispered in her ear:
"I forgot how much I missed you, and how gorgeous you are." This was supposed to a compliment but it scared her. He pushed her down onto the bed, she was laying on her stomach. She knew what was going to happen. "This isn't happening.." She thought to herself.
"Scream!" She thought, but no sound came out. If she screamed she would die, but if she didn't, she'd have to live with this. More haunting memories.... He began to lift up her underskirt. She flipped over onto her back and said:
"No, James, I don't want too.." It was as if he didn't even hear her, he flipped her over and lifted her skirt once more. She closed her eyes, just waiting for it to be over.
"Please let it be over." She thought. She heard someone come up the stairs.
"What the hell?!" It was Alexander. James turned and looked at him.
"You...." He clenched his teeth and pulled out his gun.
"You've ruined my life and my marriage." He pointed the gun at him but before he could respond he shot him in the side. Alexander let out a groan and he fell to the ground. Maria screamed and James ran out. She rushed over to Alexander. He laid there clenching his side, breathing in and out slowly trying to ease the pain.
"Oh god." She said putting her hands over her mouth. Alexander moved his head slowly to look at her. He had blood on his forehead and on his right hand.
"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" He asked weakly, touching her cheek with his bloody hand.
"I'm fine, but you should be worried about yourself." He chuckles.
"This isn't the first time this has happened to me. Where is that son of a bitch?" He tries to get up but he winces and places his hand on his side. Maria rips a piece off of her underskirt and places it on his wound. He sighs and closes his eyes.
"He's gone. He left after he shot you." She pauses and looks at him. She hated seeing him like this. Guilt consumed her once more. He vision began to blur as tears formed in her eyes.
"I'm so sorry." She cried. " If it wasn't for me this never would've happened." She puts her head on his chest.
He gently grabs her hand, and weakly smiles at her. "Don't blame yourself, this isn't your fault. James is jealous and he thought the only way he could get to you is through me."
"But I still can't help but feel that this is my fault." She says looking him straight in the eye.
"Maria, listen to me, this isn't your fault. Okay?" He says. This puts Maria at ease for a moment, but Alexander begins to lose consciousness.
"Alexander! Alexander! Stay with me! I'm going to get you to the infirmary." She tightly held onto his hands, squeezing them tighter and tighter hoping that he'll stay awake. But he can't keep his eyes open any longer, his eyes close. Maria gets him up and carries him into the infirmary. A trail of blood behind them.
"HELP!" She shouts. A doctor turns and sees her with an unconscious man, he rushes over to her.
"This man here he's been shot and he's losing blood." She says frantically.
"Alright," He says. "We'll take it from here miss." He commands a nurse to get a stretcher ready. They carefully place him onto the stretcher and start moving him, Maria following closely behind them.
"I'm sorry miss," He looks at her. "But you're going to have to wait outside." Maria nods and watches as the doctors carry him away.
"Oh Alexander.." She whispers. "Please be alright."