Four

Zora

"I think Zurich likes him, I mean I know its only been what, three weeks?"

Deja nodded while she restocked the mascara. "Im happy for you girl, I wanna be the first to know when he pops the question."

"What question? Cause were just friends right now."

"Any question hell, can we fuck, can I marry you, can you be my girl, anything hell."

I laughed. "Dej, you too much." She looked up at me and laughed but her smiled faded away quickly.

"Baby daddy alert." She grabbed the boxes and left me standing there with Lamont, my baby daddy.

"You can't be here." I folded my arms cause he knew he wasn't allowed at my work, my boss said he caused too much of a disturbance every time he comes.

"Whats this I hear about you and some guy.... Mitch is his name."

I rolled my eyes. "Its none of your business Lamont."

"So what? You let him around my son?"

"Lamont please, whats it to you? You don't even come around hardly. I'd be surprised if Zurich knew who you were."

"I have things to do, its not safe right now for him to be around."

"Oh yeah? Well has it been safe the past four years?"

"Z, don't start this shit man. Just let me see him today, i'll come over."

"Alright, I get off at 7."

"I'll see you at 8:30 then." He started backing away getting ready to leave and I couldn't be more relieved.

"Okay."

"What was that about."

"Well he knows about Mitch."

"Are you kidding me?"

"He said, "so who's this guy." So he knows."

"You know Lamont be in the streets girl, how do you know if Mitch doesn't work for Lamont?"

"What? No no no no, he can't." I bit my bottom lip and Deja placed her hand on her hip and gave me that look.

"You just bit your lip, whats making you nervous."

"You are Deja! You didn't have to give me the idea that Mitch is in the game."

"im just saying girl, I would ask. So this lil date thing he wants to take you on. Get all the answers you need from Mitch, besides I think he's a pretty good guy."

It was almost time for me to clock out, the store was getting slow, and the mall was getting quieter. I checked my phone for any missed calls or messages but it was the usual probably some bill collectors.

"Zora, you can go."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, me and Deja got this. Besides you got 30  minutes left."

"Alright, well thanks."

I went to the store's office to get my things, then I clocked out and made my way to my car. On my way there I got a phone call from Mitch. I fumbled at the phone but I managed to answer in time.

"Hello?"

"Hey, you busy?"

-

Mitch

I really wanted to meet with Zora today, as soon as possible. I wanted to go ahead and tell her what was up with me, I rather me tell her then her finding out.

"Im glad you could meet? What'd you tell the baby sitter?"

"I told her i'd be late, is something wrong? Everything okay."

"Um, yeah I just decided it was best if I gave you a little about my background now instead of later or you finding out from someone else."

"Well... im all ears."