"Tearful Goodbyes"

Without thinking I entered Buster's stall. He labored a small noise when I walked in.

I clutched his head in my arms. I felt tears well up in my eyes. "Please, don't leave me," I whispered to him.

My aunt dialed the vet as quickly as she could, while Scott examined something on the side of Buster's stall.

"What is it," I asked, with a tear rolling down my cheek. "A nail," he replied. I squinted my eyes, and made out a nail. "There's blood on it," he said.

I feared for the worst, I didn't want to lose by beautiful boy. I clutched him a little harder. I felt each breath getting harder for him.

Then, the vet came. She had simple brown hair pulled into a ponytail, and a blue vet coat.

She said hello to Scott and my aunt, and then she came into Buster's stall.

The second she saw Buster, she got down on her knees and began examining him.

She first listened to his heart, "It's quite fast compared to what it should normally be," she said.

Then, she listened to his breathing, but I knew that it wasn't good. "He's breathing pretty hard," she said.

Finally, she saw a small wound on his hip, "Have you seen this before," she asked me. "No," I replied.

"I believe that it's tetanus," she began sadly, "it has spread throughout his whole body."

I didn't think it was true. My Buster had tetanus. "Can we do anything about it," asked my aunt sadly.

"At this stage, no," said the vet, "it would probably best to end his suffering,"

    I nodded. Unable to speak. I held his head close, and I wept.

     The vet was already preparing the syringe. She had a small bottle of euthanasia, and she filled the syringe with it.

    "Are you sure you want to do this," asked Scott. The vet looked at me with concerned eyes. I looked back at him, and said, "yes, it's the only thing we can do."

     The vet turned away, and continued to prepare. I rubbed Buster's cheek with my thumb.

     I began to recall everything me and Buster have been through. I remembered seeing the small bay horse for the first time, my mom was holding him, smiling. I was only ten.

    I remember after visiting mom for the last time, I read Buster my favorite book, The Black Stallion, by Walter Farley. Which is still my favorite book to this day.

    I remembered my first show with him, It was a leadline class with my mom. We won.

    Then, I was taken out of my thoughts, when the vet asked, "are you ready?" "Yes," I replied shakily.

    The vet turned, and looked at Buster. I heard her whisper, "it will all be over soon buddy."

   She injected the needle into his neck, and he flinched.

   His eyes shut ever so slowly. It was over.

    Tears streamed down my face as I hugged his head tightly. "I love you, so much," I wept.

    We sat in silence. Not knowing what to say, or do.

     The vet's phone broke the silence. She took it out of her pocket, and she gasped. "Ok I'll be there right away," she said.

    I looked at her, and she said, "I'm so sorry guys, but it's an emergency.

    "It's okay," said my aunt, I nodded.

      I could see a tiny tear in Scott's eye. Even though we've only known each other for an hour, I could tell that he cared about me.

    The vet left, and slowly, our group broke apart. First, Scott left because of a small family emergency. Then, my aunt left, because she had to prepare dinner.

    Finally, I got up, and I got a blanket from the office, and covered Buster with it.

   I sighed, and walked to Phantom's pasture.

    Before I left, I grabbed my copy of The Black Stallion.

     The sun was just about to set when I walked in. I didn't hear his hooves, but I knew he would come when he saw me.

     Then, I heard his classic thundering, and he stopped in front of me. "Hello Phantom," I said, with tears in my eyes.

     He made a noise, deep in his throat. "I lost someone special today buddy," I said very shakily. He put his beautiful head close to my chest.

     I walked to a lone tree stump and sat down. Phantom followed me, and lay beside the stump. I scratched his neck, and he rubbed the book with his lip.

   I giggled, and began to take my hair out of the annoying ponytail. It felt nice to let it free.

    A very calm breeze swept through, sending lone leaves flying, and my wavy, blonde hair moving gently.

    The sun cast a beautiful orange tint on everything it touched.

    I turned the pages, to my bookmark, and read aloud, "You've never in your life seen a horse run so fast! He's all power-all beauty." and "beautiful head. The head was that of the wildest of all wild creatures—a stallion born wild—and it was beautiful, savage, splendid. A stallion with a wonderful physical perfection that matched his savage, ruthless spirit."

    I looked at him, and smiled. I looked at the book in my hands. I reread those same words. I closed the book, and got off of the stump.

     I crawled to his shoulder, and I lay on it. I saw two birds, flying in spirals. Together.

    I patted his neck, and he looked at me with his piercing eyes. I smiled, and I clutched my book on my stomach. 

    I knew that things were tough, but Phantom somehow made it better. We have only known each other for about two weeks, and so much was unknown. But I felt safe with him, and I felt like he understood every word I spoke.

     I began to get drowsy, and right before I fell asleep, I saw his head turn around, and rest on my lap. I placed my hand lightly on his nose, and drifted away into a deep sleep.

A/N
This part of Heart Of Phantom is especially dedicated to Bo, a horse at the barn, who sadly passed away from tetanus...