✨ Playing field ✨

Hopping off the bus the sun shined down harshly. It was 85 degrees and boy am i dying. Not only did the sun bombard me but my best friend as well. She pulls me into a tight hug. 

"There you are, took you a hundred years." Megyn exclaims while walking over to me. Her hair was brown and black, a hazelnut brown to be exact and she was the life of the party. Her personality was something that brightened my days at school after my father's passing.

"Yo' Courtney is supposed to be having this bomb a-- party. Girl we need to hit it up before midnight. You down?" Megyn's use of slang was always overused in a sentence, and could easily overwhelm someone. She being from a small sector in the city Santa Domingo named Villa Juana. It was a small place in the Dominican republic her family fought hard to get away from, and eventually left when she was nine. They moved to Texas and shes been here ever since. She was Afro-Dominican, her mother black and father Dominican, and rocked both cultures.

Her brows were pointed in a questioning look. I had noticed that i hadn't replied back to her but her arms weren't allowing me to breathe. I point at her long arms enveloping me in a bone crushing hug. "Oh!" She releases me and pats me on the back gently. "Sorry Phoen! You know i get carried away." 

We walk through the front door of the school the cold air hitting me in the face, which helped release some heat trapped in my body. "I do know. That is why i'm saying no to the party." I say matter of factly while leaning against my locker. Everyday we waited for Rayiah to come at approximately 7:03. She was a prompt girl who made sure everything was organized and in order, though her timing could be a bit off. She had been a lifelong friend Megyn and i befriended in the sixth grade.

"Because, your going to try to get drunk, or a guy is gonna hit on you, or you might fight the wrong person." I say, looking at her.

"Never start a sentence with because." Megyn counters

"She is right." Rayiah states, holding her books in her arms. I look down at my phone 7:03 exactly. 

"Do you hear what she's trying to convince me of doing?" I ask, pushing myself with one leg off the locker. "She wants to go to Courtney's party, which we aren't invited to by the way."

Rayiah looks at Megyn. "Sorry she has a point. You'll do something crazy." She pushes her glasses up that frames her chubby face.

"Its our freaking junior year! We only live once and what we're doing isn't living." 

"Right because you want to die!" Rayiah remarks. 

In the distance, a group of guys in jerseys are centered around two guys arguing. One of the boys looks up making eye contact with me, Griffyn Drake to be exact. He was on the basketball team with my brother and a close friend as well. To say i had a small crush on him would be an understatement, it was a massive crush. My brother would of course not be happy with my feelings, so no one knows except Rayiah and Megyn.

 My brother would of course not be happy with my feelings, so no one knows except Rayiah and Megyn