01 | a strange visit

** note the pov change **

Chapter One

I woke up with a jolt, faintly registering the sound of jeering outside my window.

Earlier in the night, the unbearable heat in my room had forced me out of bed. I had stumbled across the room to shove open the window, grumbling and cursing because of the lack of sleep. But apparently, I was destined for a restless night, with the way things were going now.

Having less than two hours of sleep was enough to put murder on my mind.

With my head sandwiched between two large pillows, I patiently waited with gritted teeth for the individuals to leave. Although loud teenagers were common in the neighbourhood, they typically migrate quickly. My neighbours aren't afraid to call the police at two in the morning for something as small as noise complaints.

Just as I was about to gently drift off again, I heard a chilling sound echo through the streets.

There was a cackle that energized the air, sending a dose of ice down my spine. Even in my sleep-deprived state, I felt a hint of terror seep through my bones as the sound travelled. 

In the midst of drowsiness, I faintly registered that these teenagers appeared to be more deranged than normal, but I pushed the worries away. Despite the insane laughter, I convinced myself that they wouldn't be dangerous enough to attempt robbery; I was safe in the comfort of my very comfortable bed.

I yawned and turned my body away from the window. Both of my hands tightened the pillows over my ears in an attempt to muffle the sounds outside. Unfortunately, I was already at the edge of my mattress.

There was a sudden shift as I flailed in mid-air, grasping at nothing. Within a second, I had landed roughly on the carpeted floor with a devastating thump. Throbbing pain on my tailbone initiated a stream of curses that tumbled out of my mouth.

Immediately, I began to develop a deadly sense of annoyance towards the loudmouthed group outside. For the first time in months, I felt the familiar sense of eerie calmness wash over me while I contemplated confrontation.

Hex them a little. I thought to myself with narrowed eyes. Then obliviate them afterwards. No one would know.

Almost as if they sensed my thoughts, their rowdiness grew like a devious challenge. The taunting voices and shuffling of gravel had increased, indicating that they had settled really close to where my bedroom window stood. Somehow, even on the second floor, the noise was loud enough to make my eyes twitch.

Then someone began to beg.

"Please." The voice was distinctly masculine, but I wasn't entirely sure. They sounded young enough but not as a young child. Even from a distance, I registered that the word was filled with desperation and fear.

More words were exchanged between multiple individuals, but it was unintelligible. 

Cautious and on edge, I sneaked towards the window carefully. My anger faded away when the sounds of painful groans echoed down the streets and through the night. With a sudden surge of nervousness, I peered past the black curtains to the pavement below. 

Magical folks. It was the first thought that entered my mind when I recognized the billowing dark robes. My vision took a few minutes to fully focus before I realized the group was not a group of teenagers, but a group of Death Eaters. 

While most of them wore masks over their faces, one woman stood proudly under the moonlight without a disguise. Her unruly black hair and blood-red lips were prominent despite the shadows. And I was suddenly transported back in time, where the sparks of violent magic had buzzed through the Department of Mysteries.

The jerk of her wand. The flash of red. The falter of a laugh as he faded into the veil.

Even after three years of hiding within the muggle world, desperately trying to forget, I remembered that day as vividly as it happened.

Fear gripped my heart relentlessly as I stumbled backwards from the window. The slightest bit of consciousness forced my body to hide beside the curtains, just as panicking thoughts entered my mind in a frenzy.

They're here.

Time seemed to slow as the realization of my reality set in.

I knew the war was still raging in the Wizarding World, where the Order continued to fight for peace. It was a terrible fact that I couldn't escape from, but seeing Death Eaters so close to my home... These were characters of my recurring nightmares, and they had finally come to life.

If their location wasn't a coincidence, it meant that they had finally discovered my cover.

It should be impossible, though. It had to be.

In my three years of hiding, there was no evidence that anyone suspected my whereabouts. Dumbledore never contacted me, telling me to move somewhere new. I had kept my head down and my cover intact so far. With homeschooling, no social life, and unsuspecting adoptive muggle parents... My original life had long been destroyed.

Alex Black was no more.

And so I waited, with my heart beating loudly against my chest. Waiting for a sign to run or fight. Waiting for Dumbledore or Remus or even Potter to appear, whisking me away to safety.

When the thunderous cracks of apparating echoed through the air, I felt a jolt of electricity run down my spine.

The moonlight created menacing shadows in my bedroom as I stood frozen by my window, slightly trembling with fear. Even as seconds passed by with no issue, I anticipated the sudden appearance of Death Eaters in my room. Scenarios of being grabbed and brought to the Dark Lord flashed behind my eyes.

Eventually, when I was absolutely certain that they were gone, I stumbled and tripped towards my bed.

The black duvet crinkled from my weight as tears of stress-filled my eyes. I found myself gasping for air, struggling with the panic in my chest. With as much willpower as I could muster, I held the floodgates closed.

Instead, I sat and stared blankly at my shaking fingers, desperately willing my erratic heart to slow.

Edging towards my conscious, the faded face of my father crept. Despite the fragmented memories of his facial features, I couldn't shake his piercing grey eyes from my head. In the wintry grey, his emotions often reflected back to me. Happiness. Despair. Disappointment.

I remembered when he fell backwards from a flash of red. His last laugh had begun to fade. Even from a distance, I saw the fear and surprise on his face as he disappeared. Never to be seen again.

They could have found me.

Maybe I should've let them find me.

I tried to picture myself duelling Bellatrix. Years exploring the Malfoy Library had taught me a couple of creative hexes. I wondered if it would have been worth it. If the taste for revenge could ever be quenched. 

An ear-splitting scream echoed through the callous night, snapping me out of my jumbled thoughts and into reality.

Sorry for the long wait.

Remember, I'm more than okay with people correcting my grammar and spelling! Feel free to pitch in on other stuff, such as my plot, ideas, and facts! My PM is also open for anyone who needs someone to talk to.

Thank for reading!

Published Date: 04/09/2017

edited: 11/02/2017
edited: 05/27/2018
edited: 07/23/2020
rewritten: 07/21/2021