06 | potion brewing

Chapter Six

I sipped my cup of hot tea with a frown. Even with the thick blanket draped over my shoulders, my insides were as cold as ice. I would have liked nothing more than to pass out then and there, especially after experiencing such a physically and mentally draining night, but we had things to do.

According to Blaise, quite a few of Draco's wounds were inflicted with a poisonous blade that prevented magical and normal healing. After some persuasion, I reluctantly agreed to help them figure out how to brew the antidote. It felt good to be the best potions student in my year. If it weren't for Severus Snape's deeply-rooted hatred for my father, I would've been his favourite student.

I shook off my thoughts with a sigh and brought my focus to the conversation.

Blaise sat on the couch opposite from mine with one leg propped up on another. His body appeared relaxed, with his arms resting lazily on the back of the couch, but his face was twisted in concentrated thought.

He was invested in the conversation, unlike Draco, who had a look of absolute boredom on his face. Instead of pitching in and helping me understand what I've missed, Draco mainly focused on healing his non-poisoned wounds with Episkey.

Blaise's dark skin contrasted greatly with Draco's, whom I believed to be the palest boy in the world. Although their personalities were quite different, outside the fact that they were both Slytherins, I've watched them grow close during their fifth year. It made me happy that their friendship never changed.

Unfortunately, many other situations changed over the years. My emotions went on a rollercoaster ride as I listened to Blaise retell what happened.

He began with the events that occurred after I left. The chaos that Umbridge created in the school was quickly fixed after Dumbledore returned as headmaster, but the fear from Voldemort's return was unchangeable. The death of another Hogwarts student, from their perspective, was slightly more terrifying.

Everyone thought I died at the Department of Mysteries, alongside my father. The rumour spread quickly around the school and was finally confirmed by Dumbledore at the end of the year. They even had a memorial in the Slytherin common room, decorated with multiple gifts and flowers.

I was angry that Dumbledore lied to my friends, but I eventually decided that he must have done it to protect me. He was the one who suggested to place me in hiding and I trusted that he had a good reason for it.

Dumbledore had always been kind towards me, despite everyone else's mistrust from the sole fact that I was a Slytherin. Even though he always favourited the Gryffindors for the House Cup, which was infuriating, I knew he was a fair man with pure intentions.

He even convinced my own father to trust me, after he broke out of Azkaban. The Order didn't accept many Slytherins, but he made an exception for Snape... then he made an exception for me.

They didn't tell me much about their plans, but at least they agreed not to send me away to the Malfoys every summer.

It has always been clear to me that family didn't end at blood, especially after seeing my father treat his godson better than his own daughter...

I shook the dark thoughts out of my head. It was useless to obsess over things that were out of my control.

After this little reunion... I needed to head back home because of my promise to Dumbledore.

Blaise continued his story about the final battle and their last few years at Hogwarts.

It was crazy to think about never seeing them again... Dumbledore, Professor Snape, Remus, Tonks, and Fred Weasley. They were only a few of the many individuals lost in the war.