Bittersweet Tragedy

Tuesday 21, 2015

It was a long Tuesday morning and I could not wait to finally leave this dreadful place. The smell of old wet rags would be gone from my nose. I walked out of the bloody rehab center with a cheshire cat smile. Freedom at last. I look back at he rehab center.

"GOODBYE, FUCKERS!!!!" I laugh and skip down the parking lot to my "friends" car. I open the car door and enter. She looks at me with a serious face. "What?"

"Nothing." She started the car and left the rehab center. The drive back home was really quiet. My "friend" was really mad at me I could see. I don't know why she would still be mad at me. It's been a decade since I last seen her. She shouldn't hold a grudge for so long.

It creates really bad stress and makes you older. ( ; We then came to a red light.

"Look," She says sternly. "You might be outta there and all, but I still don't forgive you for what you did." Her eyes were filled with anger. Hmph. I did nothing to her. Now, her brother.....

Maybe...

"I know you don't forgive me but that doesn't give you the right to be mad at me. It was long ago and..." I look down as the memory crept into my mind. " It wasn't my fault..."

"WASN'T YOUR FAULT?!" She yelled. She turned to me and grabbed the neck of my shirt. "EVERYTHING WAS YOUR FAULT!!" She looks at me and lets go of my shirt. She sighs and puts her hands on the wheel. The light turned green and she drove off. I looked down and thought about what I had done before. About why I was put in the rehab center in the first place.

"M-Mariah?"

"What?" She replied, coldly.

"I- I am really sorry for what I had done. I-it honestly was not my-" She cut me off.

"Don't you dare even say it." She doesn't look at me. All she does is drive. I look at her and see her eyes water. I'm such a horrible friend. Am I even her friend at all? Probably not.... I sigh and look out the window. As the world speeds past, I close my eyes and I feel small tears escape my eyes. I open my eyes and glance at Mariah.

Her brother...

I loved him...

--/--/--/--/-- (Time lap)

We made it home and I went into my untouched room. It was locked when I went to the door but Mariah opened it for me. Mariah and I are roommates. Or more likely, was. She probably wants me to leave. Everything seemed liked it happened yesterday. My whole life was practically wasted in that center. I was 16 was I was put in there. Now I'm 19. Life in the center was not so fun. The one I went to wasn't really a rehab center. They just called themselves that to hide what their real purpose was to do to the people there. They drugged me most of the time. Forced me to take these pills, to "calm me down."

"Hey," I look and see Mariah standing in the doorway.

"Yes?" I ask. She comes into the room and sits on my pink and white bed.

"I'm leaving." She tells me. "But before I leave, um, someone has to be here and look after you."

"Get on with it, Mariah."

"Johnny, he-"

"No..." I say. Mariah looks at me like a five year old.

"Melanie, I know you've had your differences but he is the only who who could-"

"I. Don't. Care. He is not staying with me. Not now. Not ever again. I mean it." I get off my bed and go to the bay window. Looking out the window and not looking at Mariah, I hear her leave my room.

Johnny. That fucker here in my house. Again.

No.

Not ever in a million years.

Not after what he had done to me.

What am I gonna do?

"Mariah!" I shout her name. I hear footsteps approach. "Are you sure it has to be him?" I look at her.

"They didn't know who else to send and I'm leaving so..." She stops. She puts her down. "Melanie, I may not be your friend any more but I still care about you. I'm sorry." Mariah leaves and closes the door.

I look outside the window again and see a car pull up in the drive way. The car catches my attention because I remember that car. The same dark blue color with the tinted windows. The same small scratch on the left side of the car. He never fixed it, I guess.

The car stops and my heart races. He is already here. I look away from the window as he comes out from the car. I hear the car door slam and I stare at the wall. When I decide to look back out the window, I see him look at me. He stands there and smiles. My heartbeat speeds up and old feelings are back from the dead.

He is here.

My gingerbread man....

*Comment, Vote, Put in library, don't really care...* (Thanks for reading)