The Setting

NOTE: everything is based off of the opinion and observations of the author. This is just advice written by her own knowledge, and you are by no means obligated to follow any of her "rules or guidelines." They are only there to provide help if needed, or suggestions. Every author has the right to create whatever they want!

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN EDITED AND REVISED

The setting is a very important part of your book, right under the character. The setting is where the Clans reside, where they live and strive and fight and make memories. I think that this topic is important to go over because a lot of people never really consider their settings. They just make a forest, a river-like area, and a moor. That's it. No special details, nothing. (Heck, it's so common that this is pretty much the setting in my own non-canon Warriors Fanfiction). So here, I will guide you into creating a memorable setting.

Making your own Clans.

The setting, of course, has to take place by a Clan area. Whether your protagonist is a part of the system of the Clans or not, the whole plot of the series revolves around these warrior Clans.

Add a few landmarks. Like me, some writers like to make their own Clans. In one of my books, I make up five different Clans that have nothing to do with the original ones, because I wanted to feel more creative, and I am sure a lot of you feel this way too.

When you make your Clans, first start off by deciding interesting landmarks that are worth mentioning, such as places that are forbidden to go, places to collect herbs, dangerous areas, prey-plenty areas, and more. One example of a forbidden area you can add into your book can be a Twolegplace (human town). Interesting events often happen in Twolegplaces, so for more things to write about, go ahead. Another "forbidden area" idea can be a part of the forest inhabited by foxes, or something like that. Just try to add landmarks as best as you can.

Always try your best to include hidden areas that may add mystery in to your books. I do this a few times in my own series, and Erin Hunter and a lot of you writers do this as well. Personally, mysterious landmarks are the most interesting things to read about, because you never know what is going to happen there. Such landmarks include secret caves, underground passages, tree hollows, and more.

Also, ALWAYS add an area where the cats host their gatherings, and an area where medicine cats go to meet StarClan. Try not to copy too much of Erin Hunter's ideas, and try to be original when making them! Some relation is okay only if you don't majorly steal ideas. If you're all out of ideas, go ahead and take as much inspiration as you can from Erin Hunter. Nobody's gonna stop you (XD).

Creating your Clan name. What I actually find most difficult is creating a name for the Clans. For some people, it's easier than others, but that does not go for everyone.

What I recommend you do is finding a name that fits the Clan personality, territory and cats altogether. RiverClan fit well in the original books because the cats living there swam, lived by a river, and ate fish. ShadowClan matches the cats of their Clan, where they hunt at night and lived under the shadows. The name WindClan fit well with what they loved, and what they did and their personalities. ThunderClan is just . . . ThunderClan. There's not much else to say. They're special snowflakes, I guess.

So when you create the Clan name, don't forget to match the name to the setting/vibe of the Clan, and try to not name your Clan after animals! "SquirrelClan" sounds too awkward, like it's a Clan made up entirely of squirrels. Just sayin'. It's only a recommendation, but you can if you want.

Laying out the territory. When creating your own Clans, try not to only copy ideas from the original Clans, where there was a river territory, a moor, a forest and a marshy area (as mentioned before). (Even though I literally do this in my own book).

I recommend to try and make creative territories such as rocky landscapes and gorges and caves where the Clans can reside. I mean, it's okay to do it (I guiltily have done it) but I feel that people will be more interested when a Clan has there own thing going on.

Some interesting ideas that may help you could include having a Clan on a beach, on a mountain (NOT the Tribe cats), in a sterile volcano, in a jungle, in an abandoned Twolegplace, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Go creative with your territory!

Sticking to the original Clans.

Writing about the original Clans is much harder than writing about your own Clans. I think this is because you already have a certain Clan personality you have to follow, a territory that was already built for you, and rules and customs of the originals that you have to uphold. But writing about the originals can certainly be just as fun, because you are taking something big into your own writing power.

When you write about ThunderClan, RiverClan, WindClan and ShadowClan, please use the landmarks that have been given to you. There is an old abandoned Twoleg den by ShadowClan and ThunderClan. There is a Thunderpath by WindClan. There is a river called the Moonpool Stream right in between ThunderClan and WindClan. They reach the gathering by crossing a huge fallen tree. They have a place where they meet StarClan called the Moonpool. THERE'S SO MUCH! You have to make your Clan live going by all these original territory ideas.

Writing in the Old Forest. There are lots of people who like to create a story before the time of Bluestar, Firestar and Tigerstar. When you do this, you obviously must stick to the old territory landmarks, and keep in mind that some parts of the warrior code never changed because this time was so far behind.

SkyClan. There are a heck of a lot of fan-fictions that are about SkyClan. Some people write when ancient SkyClan was still a part of the Old Forest Territory, and some people write about modern SkyClan and how they adjust to their hard lives.

But also, notice that some other people write about SkyClan finding their way to the New Lake Territory, where the four Clans reside. This is possible, but I think that we shouldn't do that just yet. (Cough cough, Erin Hunter is writing a new Warriors arc, and they spoiled that SkyClan might be taking a part in it with the original Clans! Who's exited? I know I am).

Also, keep in mind that SkyClan has their own landmarks as well. I didn't forget about this. Neither should you! I'm watching you!

The Lake Territory.

People's favorite thing to do is to make a FanFiction taking place in the Lake Territories. Okay, my biggest recommendation: if you have not finished the second arc up until the fourth arc, do NOT make a fanfiction taking place in the new territories, or you will be utterly confused at what you are writing about. Also, I think you guys should read the Super Edition: Bramblestar's Storm as well before proceeding with your fanfiction. So many things happen there . . .

The Tribe cats.

Guys, do not forget that the Tribe cats live on the MOUNTAINS. No forests, no moors. Mountains.

The mountains are cooler in climate than the regular Clan territory—don't forget that. The prey there and the herbs there are different than the Clan cats. There are also many lakes and rivers and waterfalls on the mountain, so keep that in mind as well. The Tribe cats even have different words for things such as seasons, insults, ranks, etc. Make sure to do proper research about this before writing a Fanfiction about the Tribe cats. A good way to get fully immersed with their ways is by reading the second arc (The New Prophecy), and the fifth arc (Dawn of the Clans). These books touch the subject of the Tribes quite often and may help you with your writing journey.

If you have not read past the second arc, do not make a fanfiction taking place with the Tribe Cats. You will obviously not know what to write.