The Beginning, Middle and End

NOTE: everything is based off of the opinion and observations of the author. This is just advice written by her own knowledge, and you are by no means obligated to follow any of her "rules or guidelines." They are only there to provide help if needed, or suggestions. Every author has the right to create whatever they want!

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN COMPLETELY REVISED AND EDITED.

This topic may seem not so important, but it actually is very vital to know about! Many Warriors fanfiction authors seem to just throw various different plot devises in their books, and I can never keep up with what is happening. When I was writing my own Fanfiction, I tended to do this a lot because I often ran out of ideas. This chapter is intended to help you out if you also have a tendency to do this! After all, the plot is VERY important, if not THE most important thing in your book. Constantly changing it will only ruin any good ideas you have.

TIP: Stick to your initial plot!

Now, allow me to start us off with beginning your novel.

The Beginning.

Prologues. This is what I hate about prologues: they always start of with mostly 1) a she-cat kitting the main characters, 2) a battle going on, and/or 3) one or a few StarClan cats overlooking the Clans, telling each other how powerful the main character is and how they'll save the Clans or destroy them, also probably throwing in a prophecy. No joke. This happens way too much.

(I've seen so much variety nowadays, though. Warriors fanfic authors really stepped up their game lately!)

How do you make a prologue, you ask? Well, limit the stereotypes and make up your own ideas, something that is vital to what happens in the book later! Limit the kitting she-cats, the battles and the StarClan prophets. This is annoying me and many other readers way too much.

Here is an example of what you should do: Perhaps you can start off with the main character having a dream. I honestly did this in my fanfiction, because that dream is what changed the Clan lives forever. Or maybe you could have two leaders arguing about something that will occur later on in the book, or your main character doing something against the warrior code which might create conflict in the first place.

There are many ways you can start a prologue, so please try to limit the overly used beginnings. This will hook your readers, and don't forget to add a cliff-hanger in the prologue that will get your readers to fall in love with your book!

BTW, I'm not saying you're not allowed to use these stereotypes! Don't forget that some stereotypes can be interesting.

ANOTHER NOTE, sometimes you don't even need a prologue. Some authors are so good that they just jump right in to their story!

From kit to apprentice. Mostly in the first chapter, or in a span between chapters 1-5, your cat will become an apprentice! We all do that, honestly. But I just wanted to tell you guys something. In the beginning, your apprentice DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO HUNT, also DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO FIGHT. They are innocent from the core, unless they've been haunted in their dreams by bad cats or secretly leaving their camp to meet with some super expert hunter or even another Clan cat at a very young age.

But this doesn't happen in most cases. Apprentices usually are fresh from the nursery, so they're not especially gifted at things they just learned! Please, just remember that.

Unless you have a reason, don't start your book with your cat already in a good height. I love seeing the story building itself up, and the protagonist earning their way to the top. Put some effort in to your beginnings to make a fresh and simple start, until BAM, the problem hits and things get interesting.