Day 2

Day 2

I don't mind being locked up, for it is no worse than being a maid in her father's palace. Except here it is just me and my Lady. 

And I have so much less to do, and as of for today I have just read stories from the books in my Lady's room to her. And some are so beautiful, I almost cry. 

And so here I sit, upon a stool by the fire to keep warm. It may be the first blossoming of summer, but these walls keep out the heat and make it so very chilly. Which makes me afraid of the winter. Luckily we have much wood. 

I look at my surroundings, our tower is entirely bricked up, for it was once a lookout tower with many windows and now it is all gone. But from where I sleep I can look through a small crack and I think I see blue sky, but I think perhaps I'm seeing nothing really but darkness and night. Though it's just as beautiful. 

My bedroom, or should I say mattress of straw-for I am still a maid down here- is quite nice, and I have the few things I could take with me. My journal, a few pencils, a handkerchief, and a ribbon that my mother once gave to me. And so I lay them out on a crate from the cellar that's filled with all our food. Seven years worth. I don't think I have ever seen so much food before! 

Growing up I was usually hungry, you could count the ribs on me. But now, when I cook for my Lady I can have a full meal. For she is quite kind to me. 

My Lady sleeps on the top floor where the air is clean and fresh from the many cracks in the walls. She has a bed, quilts, candles, books, and paintings. It's quite luxurious, and I know this for I go up there every night and sing her a song or tell her a tale to help her fall asleep. 

And here she comes down the stairs as I believe the sun sets. 

"Dashti, would you please read to me a story?" 

I get up quickly from my place and curtsy, "of course my Lady." I say and follow her up the stairs to her room of gold. 

She drapes herself on the bed, slipping out of her robe to reveal a simple night gown of indigo. 

"What would my Lady like to hear?" I ask. 

"She closes her eyes for a second and says, "don't read actually, just tell me a story." 

I take a seat in her bed and think for a moment on what I could possibly tell her. 

And so I begin. 

"They could hear the music swell when they began to dance under a cloak of stars. Shimmering just for them, and the music so soft and sweet. They breathed it all in, chest to chest, hearts beating together. 

They were happy and full of the passions that that night had to offer beneath moonlight and the flutter of kisses from the stars. 

Hand in hand they stopped as the music died and took to the lapping waters of the ocean playing with the golden sands still warm from the heat of sun."

I look over to my Lady for a moment, her face calmer, more soothed.

"Please do continue." She says and I dip my head down a bit. 

He looked into her face for a moment, golden skinned, her eyes a deep blue color matching the sky above them. She held such a beauty he had no words for it, for it was so rare one could even fathom it. Her dress sweeping her ankles that glitters, and shines just as they did. 

A couple of stars forming a constellation. They were ethereal and yet ephemeral. For the girl awoke from her slumber to find it all a dream. 

For nothing so pure could ever be real. 

Except a dream."

I stop and she turns to me. 

"That was so sad." She says and I see her eyes glisten with tears. 

"Not everything sad is beautiful, and not everything beautiful is sad." 

"Not all beauty is happy either." She says and I feel my lips tug to form a smile. 

"It would appear you and I think the same way." I say. 

She doesn't smile, all she says is, "thank you Dashti." 

"You're welcome my Lady." I say getting up to let her rest. 

As I walk out, I turn back quickly to blow out the candle lighting the room. 

I look once more upon her face, and just as the light falls away I see a tear slip down her cheek. 

I pray she sleeps well and her dreams do not haunt her waking moments. 

Though the goddess of sleep, Goda, has been quite kind to us. 

What do you think of the tale?

What would you have told her?

I'm quite happy with this so far, and can't wait to publish more chapters.

Please vote and comment with whatever

thanks for reading