Chapter Two

Severide's POV

Matt and I heard the sound of Everly screaming and turned around just in time to see a semi collide with Ambulance 61. The ambo rotated and flipped onto its side, crushed by the truck.

"Gabby! Grace!" Matt yelled, running towards the accident.

I heard the rest of Firehouse 51 yelling and running as we all raced towards our girls. Casey and I got there first, calling out for Dawson and Everly. The driver of the semi stumbled out of the truck and headed towards us, apologizing profusely.

"My tire blew! I lost control! I'm so sorry!" he yelled, hobbling over.

We saw the gurney shift inside the ambulance as Gabby struggled to move. I saw Grace's chestnut curls farther in and raced towards her. I gasped quietly when I got close enough to see what had actually happened. Gabby looked relatively okay. She just had a gash on her leg and some scrapes across her forehead.

Grace was a whole other story. There was blood pooling around her from a cut that ran adjacent to her hairline from behind her left ear to the back of her neck. Most of her body was being crushed by the gurney, but I had a feeling it wasn't anything good. I grabbed a nearby wad of gauze and pressed it to the cut on her neck, applying pressure.

"Grace, stay with me. Please stay with me," I said, my heart breaking at the thought of losing her.

I couldn't lose Everly. Not after everything that happened with Shay. I could not lose another person that I loved.

"I need a backboard and a c-collar over here now!" I yelled.

"Grace?" I heard Dawson say behind me.

I turned and saw Dawson standing there, Casey helping support her weight. There were tears in her eyes, but I wasn't sure if it was because she was in pain or because of Everly.

Otis came running up with a c-collar, followed closely by Cruz with a backboard. I took the c-collar and gently wrapped it around Grace, trapping the gauze underneath it. I ran my fingers over her blood-drenched hair, brushing it out of her face.

"Grace, you've got to wake up. Come on," I said, rubbing my knuckles along her sternum.

There was no response and I could feel my heart drop to my stomach. A few moments later, a second ambulance rolled up. The transferred Grace onto the backboard and loaded her onto the gurney and into the ambulance.

"Sev, go with Everly. Truck will take Gabby to Med and Squad can meet us there," Casey said.

I looked to Boden for confirmation and he nodded his agreement. I immediately got in the back with Grace and Matt closed the doors. I heard the sirens get switched on and we raced towards Chicago Med. I watched as Chout worked on Grace. He was in the middle of starting an IV when Everly started convulsing.

"I'm going to have to drill. I need you to hold her left leg down," Chout said, grabbing an IO kit.

I held Grace's leg still while Chout cut her pants up to her mid-thigh, pushing the fabric out of the way. He got the drill ready before looking up at me.

"You might want to look away for this," he suggested.

I took his advice and looked at Grace's face. I heard the sound of the drill and I flinched a little as the needle was driven into her bone marrow. Chout pushed Ativan and the seizing subsided.

"She should wake up in a second," he said, moving to sit in the seat by Grace's head.

A few minutes later, she still hadn't come to and Chout was beginning to look worried. I opened my mouth to ask what was happening but before I could get a word out, we had arrived at Med. The doors opened and Maggie was there, along with Dr. Halstead and Dr. Rhodes.