Chapter Four

The next few weeks went by in a blur. The CPD Intelligence Unit caught Andrew paying Tanner Martin $100,000 for his attempt to kill me. He was going to pay Martin $200,000, but decided to only give him half since he wasn't successful. He was set to go on trial in a few weeks. Gabby and I were only one shift away from being allowed back on full duty and Severide had convinced me to move in with him in his amazing loft.

"You look sad," Severide said, handing me a cup of coffee.

"I'm not sad. I'm just thinking about Andrew's trial. It will be the first time I'll see him since I walked out. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he hired someone to try and kill me. He and I were together for 5 years. 5 freaking years."

"I know. Just be glad you didn't marry the psycho."

"Oh trust me. I'm very glad I didn't marry him. I'm also really glad that nobody from 51 got mad when they found out the wedding was off. I know a lot of them had other things they could have been doing that day, but they put it aside for my wedding that didn't happen," I said, sipping my coffee.

"They're your family, Ev. They wouldn't get mad at you about something like that. Besides, I think they're all a little more pissed off at Andrew than they are at you."

"I know. I still can't believe someone paid Andrew's $500,000 bail. It makes me nervous that he's out on the streets again."

"We should call Intelligence and see if one of them can get a tail on him until his trial date," Severide suggested, tugging on his shirt.

"I'll call Jay later."

"Good. Are you going to stop by 51 today?"

"Yeah, I was planning to. I might help out and cook lunch or something. I can't stay here all day. I also need to run some errands," I said.

"Why don't you wait until tomorrow morning to run errands? I'll go with you and we can get breakfast together," Severide suggested, stepping into his room to change into his uniform pants.

"Sounds good to me. I'm going to take my own car to the firehouse though so I can leave whenever."

"Do you want to just give me a ride then and pick me up in the morning so we can go shopping?" he asked, coming back out, pulling on his socks.

I nodded and finished off my coffee before heading to my room to change. I pulled on a pair of dark wash jeans and a royal blue t-shirt before tossing one of Severide's old hoodies that I had stolen over top.

"Isn't that my sweatshirt?" Severide asked as I brushed my teeth.

"Sorry, it smelled good so I stole it," I said, rinsing my toothbrush and putting it away.

He just laughed and pressed a kiss to my temple before grabbing his toothbrush and kicking me out of the bathroom. I tucked my feet into my favorite pair of nude flats before grabbing my wallet and phone and stuffing them into my purse.

"Let's go, Severide! You're going to be late for work!" I yelled.

"Not with the way you drive," he joked grabbing his phone from the kitchen counter.

"Careful. I just might break-check you," I warned, glaring at him playfully.

Severide just rolled his eyes and followed me to my car. He chose the radio station while I drove, settling into a comfortable silence. I really liked living with Kelly. He was respectful of the fact that I was still healing, so he stayed quiet when I got one of my raging migraines. He was also really good about making sure the freezer was stocked with mint chocolate chip ice cream and there was always plenty of beer.