Changing Tunes

Blaring music cut through the air, layered with the tumult of voices and laughter. Melody pinched the bridge of her nose, and breathed in. The smell of dust, sweat, alcohol and vomit filled her nostrils. She swallowed down the bile that rose to her throat.

The sun's glare beat down on her shoulders and made her loose top feel constricting. Her companion bent over further and wretched. Melody's stomach twisted into tight coils and she took another deep breath in through her mouth.

"What in the world am I doing here?" she asked, her words lost in the roar surrounding her.

Her companion's head emerged and Melody released her grip in the clump of hair she had been holding.

"Here," Melody said, handing the girl a water bottle.

"Thanks," Alice said, her face white.

Melody pulled out wipes and hand sanitizer, cleaning her own hands before giving the items to the girl. Alice handed back the water bottle to Melody but she waved it away.

"I brought a second, keep it."

Alice swayed and Melody quickly reached out, wrapping Alice's arm around her neck.

"Come on, let's get you back to the truck. You can rest there."

Alice's head bounced once in response. Dust coated their shoes as they started walking, wading through the thick throngs of barely dressed girls and jostling boys. Melody breathed out a curse as Alice staggered to one side, pulling Melody with her. Before Melody could right herself they stumbled into the back of a young man.

"Hey watch..."

The guy turned around, his exclamation halting on his lips at the sight of the two girls. Melody flashed a quick apologetic smile as she pulled Alice back into a stable position.

"Sorry," Melody said, hastily.

"You need help?" the guy asked.

"Nope, just..." Melody worked to keep Alice up right. "fine. Thank you."

They teetered and the guy reached out, straightening the falling Alice.

"You sure?"

"Yes, thank you."

The pair took a few steps forward and clattered to the ground as Alice's feet got tangled beneath her. The river of traffic split and moved around the crumbled girls, barely giving them a second glance. Melody rose to her feet, furiously brushing the dust from her clothes. She looked back to grab Alice and found her already dangling in the arms of the guy. He looked to be only a couple years older than herself, with tousled brown hair and blue eyes that stood out against his tan skin.

"You sure you don't want help?" he asked.

Melody's shoulders sagged as she pushed back a strand of chestnut brown curls that clung to her damp forehead.

"Thanks but I don't really need a drunk person carrying another drunk person. I'd take the blind leading the blind over that option. At least they both know their disadvantage."

The guy cracked a smile, a laugh jumping from his lips.

"I'm the designated drive, so no worry here. Where are you going?"

Melody didn't respond right away. The heat beat down on her and she nodded her head.

"Other side of the food vendors."

"I'll follow you then."

Melody paused for a second and then nodded, turning back into the crowd. Music pulsed through the grounds, as bodies swayed in time, inhibition pealing away with every puff of smoke. Melody navigated her way through the dense flow of bodies, looking back every few seconds to make sure the guy holding Alice was following.