It's Only Business

A tray of champagne flutes floated passed Harper and she snatched a glass. She took a drink, holding it in her mouth for a second before swallowing. Around her laughter, the clinking of glasses and excited voices clogged the air.

She looked around, taking in the expensive jewelry, elegant gowns and tailored suits, her expression bored. Instrumental Christmas music floated through the crowd like the servers laden with trays filled with champagne and appetizers.

Harper turned away from the throng of party goers and made her way to a set of curved stairs, the banisters wrapped in garland. As she moved her red, strapless dress fluttered, the slit to her knee revealing a shapely leg. Curious, jealous and dismissive glances followed her as she passed by clusters of societies elite.

At the base of the stairs, Harper was stopped by a handsome blonde with a permanent smirk.

"Hi there, Harper," he said with a silky voice that irritated Harper.

"Hello, Duncan," Harper said, boredom dripping from every syllable.

He took a step closer, his blue eyes teasing.

"It's been too long, we should catch up," he said.

Harper's lips curved into seductive smile. She moved closer to him, a manicured hand resting on his chest, then moving to encircle his tie.

"It has. I would love to catch up," she said, emphasizing the word love with a breathy tone.

Duncan gulped as his eyes widened slightly. Harper looked around the room, then back at him.

"The coat closet on the second floor," Harper said, her tone low and sultry. "I'll meet you there."

Duncan's face broke into a wide grin as Harper stepped back and winked at him. With all the coolness he could muster, Duncan ascended the stairs, forcing himself not to break out into a run. Harper watched him go, a laugh tinkling her throat. Without really looking, Harper put a hand out stopping a passing waiter. He paused, the tray stretched before him.

"Anthony, in about ten minutes go to the coat closet on the second floor and offer Mr. Finch some hors doeurves," she said.

Anthony gave her a knowing smile. Draining the rest of her champagne, Harper deposited the glass on Anthony's tray, before he turned away. She then proceeded up the stairs, ignoring the nods people gave to her. At the top, she moved to the railing and looked over, gazing out at the sea of color. She rested her hands on the polished wood, carelessly searching for a figure she knew was not there.

Minutes later someone tapped her shoulder. With an annoyed puff of air, Harper turned. Before her stood an thin, upright, elderly man with impassive features and a tailored suit. Harper flashed the man a dazzling smile, that made a few heads turn towards her, but had no affect on the man. Dramatically, Harper took a step towards the man, one hand on her chest.

"Winston, let's run!" she said, her voice low and urgent. "I know it's sudden but we love each other. Who cares if I'm only 21 and you're 56. Our love knows no bounds. What do you say? Come with me!"

Winston barely blinked at Harper's declaration. When he was completely sure she was finished, he spoke.

"Your mother wishes to see you, ma'am," he said, in a somber voice.

"Well, maybe our love found its bounds then." She waved a hand forward. "Lead the way, my love."

Winston turned and walked away, his gloved hands folded behind him, Harper by his side. As they moved through the crowd, Harper's gaze jumped from face to face without the barest flicker of hope. They passed from one room to the next each decorated with elaborate Christmas trees, wreaths and garland. They entered a spacious ballroom, flooded with dancing couples and a live band. Harper ran a hand through her hair, tossing around the loose dark auburn curls.