Point of No Return

In the matter of hours, the hunt for Mr J and the J5 Boys had gone from the south to Nationwide! The news was everywhere.

It seemed like all of Buckaroo, Texas was still downtown at the bank because nobody was out. The streets were empty. There was barely any traffic on the road and so we made it back to the Dixieluck Motel without any problems​.

The car ride was chaotic though. Not only was Mr J crying at the top of his lungs in the back seat, but the dispatcher radio kept going off. The voice of a cop kept repeatedly asking where this car was.

"Officer 097, where are you located? Repeat. Officer 097, where are you located?"

Then the actual FM/AM radio was blaring with the news and announcement of what had just taken place downtown. Big P didn't know how to turn it down or off. There were too many gadgets on the dashboard. The radio announcer was going on with his hasty report:

"Michael Joe Jackson and the J5 Boys have evaded the cops again. In a downtown Buckaroo bank, during a botched robbery, he and his gang have slaughtered at least a dozen policemen."

We we're even more surprised when they began to run down not only Mr J's name, but all of ours:

"Be on the lookout for Percy Johnson, James Allen and Richard Langston...

I think we all gasped, even for just a second, when the announcer said my name. For so long, I was the church mouse. I was the only one that no one knew anything about. But now I was just as known and wanted as the rest.

"Be on the lookout for the colored dame as well. Sylvia Mae Jackson, Michael Joe Jackson's wife, is also with them. She too is considered a threat. This gang are armed and dangerous. Repeat this gang killed policemen and are armed and extremely dangerous. This call is for the city of Buckaroo, the state of Texas; as well as other parts of the country, be on the lookout for Michael Joe Jackson and his gang. We will be following this story as more details develop."

After fiddling with the knobs and struggling to turn it off, Big P finally punched the radio, breaking it and making it quiet again. The only thing we could hear was Mr J still crying in the back and our own sniffling.

The Pigs and the city still believed that Mrs J was alive. They had no clue that the other cops, that Mr J slaughtered, had killed her. But no one in the car seemed to care that our names and descriptions were blasting all over the radio stations, on every channel. Nope. All we cared about was the fact that Mrs J was dead and trying to get back to the motel.

Big P pulled into the dark parking lot, that was now empty as well. It seemed we we're the only guests now. Big P got out of the front seat and opened the back door. He reached for Mrs J's body but Mr J had a death grip on her.

"Come on, Mr J. We gotta get her inside." Big P said, gently.

Mr J, still sniffling and shaking, relinquished his grip.

Big P carefully pulled her out, picked her up and turned to me.

"Lil Ricky, go hide this car. Don't get rid of it, just hide it. We don't want any attention."

Then he began to carry her up to our room. Mr J rushed out of the car, staying very close behind Big P and holding onto her hand.

I got into the driver's seat and quickly drove to find a spot where I could ditch the police car. I drove up the street and found a very heavily wooded area. I figured that was a great spot and it wasn't too far from the motel. I drove the car into the woods deep enough that the leaves and shrubbery would conceal it. Then I made the hike back to the motel.