twenty.

Connor walked towards me and we settled for the swing set on the playground. Neither one of us said much considering I didn't feel the need to talk, and Connor was still asleep.

"Ellie seems to be okay with me lately." I nodded in response, still not feeling wordy.

Connor sighed, turning the best he could in the swing, smiling towards myself.

"What's up? Something's on your mind, I can tell. Was it Ellie?"

I shook my head, "No, nothing like that. I don't really know what I'm thinking about."

He started to swing side to side, lightly tapping my leg with his each time.

"That's not true, and we both know it. What's bothering you, Liz?"

Still not a fan of the nickname.

"I guess it's just that everything is working out, lately. Like nothing too horrible has happened, so I'm just mentally preparing myself for something to go wrong."

Connor laughed quietly, "What could go wrong for you, right now?"

I shrugged, making direct eye contact with him. "You still like me, right?"

Connor continuously nodded his head, "Of course I still like you. Babe, don't ever think I'm having second thoughts, cause I would never. Not about you."

"Really? Even though I won't sleep with you right away?"

Connor got off the swing, kneeling in front of mine and placing his hands on my hips.

"Elizabeth, I want you to understand that I couldn't care less if you didn't want to ever sleep with me. I'm not with you so I can get in your pants or anything. I mean, it's a plus to the whole being in a relationship with you, but that's not what I'm here for."

I nodded my head, shortly and never breaking eye contact. Connor gently ran his hands up and down my thighs.

"Do you want to know why I like you as much as I do? It's because you challenged me, and I could never back down from a challenge. You were always on my mind, even when I was with someone else. Then, luckily for me, we got paired together and I got to be an asshole to your face."

I couldn't help but laugh at his point. He chuckled as well, returning to his story.

"Your personality proved to be just as beautiful as your looks, because you gave me a chance to show you the real me. You approved of the real me, even if it was horrendous. You were there for me, even if you didn't know it. That's why I like you so much, Elizabeth. Hell, it might be way too early in the game for this, but I don't care. You don't have to say it back if you don't feel that way, I won't mind, but I love you Elizabeth. I wouldn't be here, talking with you at almost three in the morning, sitting at a playground in 40° weather if I didn't."

I didn't think I was a sucker for these romance scenes, but I certainly had tears ready to fall from my eyes. Connor was one step ahead of me, as usual, and was ready to wipe away any tears with his thumbs.

Connor stood up, pulling me off the swing and into his arms. He hugged tightly around my waist, and I reciprocated his action around his neck.

"I was going to ask you this tomorrow after the game, in a cute little way with my team but I can't wait any longer, would you go to homecoming with me?"

I laughed, "Of course, Connor. Between you and I, I don't think I can take any more romantic gestures."

He smiled, wiping away any last tears that were drying on my cheeks. "Do you feel better, now? If not, I can keep going."

I shook my head, "No, I think I'm okay. Thank you."

He frowned, "You think? Alright, well you do this little thing with your nose when you're angry at me, and it's just too adorable not to love you for that. Then there's this-"

"Connor, stop it, I'm definitely okay. You're cute, you know that?"

He smiled, leaning back from me slightly. "Should we head back to your house now?"

I nodded, but pulled him back as he started to step away. I surprised him with a quick kiss. He was quick to react though, deepening the kiss for a moment and squeezing my torso. 

-

-

-

-

vote and comment

i just wrote this on a plane yayayayy

less than 50 days of school left for me, and I am sooo excited