thirty-three

The next morning, Connor and I didn't really talk. Mostly because I was dealing with a massive hangover, and I wasn't in the mood to speak or even listen. Luckily for me, I still had to go to school today.

As I headed to my locker, I ignored mostly everyone and kept my head down. Lights weren't my friend today. I quickly grabbed my notebooks, lightly shutting the locker before turning towards my homeroom. Just as I did, Luke the asshole slammed his locker shut, just a few down from me.

I cringed at the ringing sound in my ears, glaring at him. He smirked, quickly letting out a snarky comment.

"The pleasure follows the pain, doesn't it?"

I just rolled her eyes and headed to homeroom, finding a seat near the back. Ellie followed in shortly, a grin plastered on her face, only making me hate the world even more.

"How are you so happy, didn't you drink more than I did?"

Ellie shrugged, "I can handle it better, I've been doing this for much longer than you. How are you holding up? Connor told me about last night."

I nodded, tapping my pen against my hand. "I don't want to talk about it right now."

Ellie nodded understandingly, and for the rest of homeroom, no one spoke a word to me. By the time I reached English class, everyone was trying to talk to me and I wasn't enjoying it.

I rushed to my seat, putting a book up and resting my head on the desk. Connor came in shortly after, chuckling softly at me, moving to push the book down. He softly spoke, knowing about the headache.

"How's your day been?"

I groaned, slumping my shoulders down further.

"I'll take that as a 'shut up, Connor'."

Connor sat down in his seat, getting his correct notebook out. I sat up, starting to feel guilty. "I'm sorry, it's just that everyone feels the need to scream something at me today, and I don't want to go to the nurse for aspirin because then she'll have to call my mom."

Connor nodded, about to respond, but then a girl sitting up front in the classroom yelled across the room. "Elizabeth, hey, did you get the assignment from Calculus?"

I slouched back down, turning to face Connor. "I will murder her in her sleep tonight, please tell her to shut up."

Connor couldn't help but smile, "Elizabeth has a migraine right now, maybe try texting her later?" The girl nodded, understanding what was going on and turning back to face the front.

At that point, Luke walked in, smirking at the sight of me in pain. He walked around the desks, past Connor and I, making sure to leave a remark.

"She makes it so obvious what you did last night. Ow ow."

Connor ignored him, but I decided that I had enough. I stood up from my chair, turning slightly to face Luke. "Alright, enough with the damn sexual comments! Connor and I have never slept with each other, I'm still a virgin, now please leave me alone!"

Everyone had wide eyes, looking from me to Mr. Porter who had just walked into the classroom, just in time for my truth. He cleared his throat awkwardly, getting my attention. I quickly sat in my seat, hiding half of my face behind the book.

"Mind staying after class for a few minutes, Elizabeth?"

I nodded, placing my head down from embarrassment. Connor scooted his chair closer to mine, wrapping his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his chest. I stayed there for most of the class, and nobody bothered us.

****

As soon as the class had ended, all the students quickly left besides Connor and I. Connor stood up, walking towards Mr. Porter. "Do you want me to stay back as well?"

Mr. Porter shook his head, speaking softly, "I don't think so. I'm just going to have a small chat with her, try and calm her down." Connor nodded, going to grab his things and giving me a quick kiss on the cheek before heading out. Mr. Porter went to shut the door, causing my anxiety to skyrocket.

He walked closer to me, pulling a chair up on the other side of my desk. I looked up from my previous spot where I was resting my head. "Take these, Elizabeth." Mr. Porter placed three aspirins on the desk by my hand. I looked towards him, confused.

"I thought teachers weren't allowed to give kids medicine?" Mr. Porter smiled, shaking his head.

"We're not, so keep it quiet." He winked subtly, waiting until I took the aspirin before continuing. "So, how much did you drink last night?"

My eyes widened, "I-I didn't."

Mr. Porter let out a small laugh, "Elizabeth, come on. I get I'm a teacher, but I'm still young. I remember when I was your age, drinking whenever I got the chance. How much did you drink?"

I shrugged, honestly not having a clue. "I don't remember, I lost track."

"It was one of those nights, huh? You don't normally do that kind of stuff, do you?" I shook my head, not saying anything else. "I can tell. Then why are you just now starting? What's bothering you?"

That's when I let it all out, telling Mr. Porter the entire story from the beginning. I went on for almost ten minutes, telling him about how Connor had this game going on at the beginning of the year and how I am the last girl he hasn't slept with. Then about all the pressure I was feeling, about the drama between my best friend and I, about how I havn't had many people to rant to, about how my home life is, about the picture sent around the school and how I don't want to be involved in this anymore. I let it all out for his ears to hear, no matter how personal it was to me or someone else.

Mr. Porter just sat and listened, doing his best to keep up and understand. At the end of my rant, he just nodded. "Do you want to hear my opinion on this?" I nodded, caring for any sort of advice I could get. "Why don't you just end the relationship? It's sounding to me like everything was better for you when you weren't under the pressure of being in a relationship. This year is important for you, and mostly all the seniors, but in order for you to do your best, you need to focus mostly on yourself. You sound like you're trying to juggle too many things, and most of those problems you're focusing on are because of that relationship."

I sighed, taking a deep breath. "I know, it's just that I really do like Connor. I wouldn't want to hurt him, or even miss my chance with him if he could be the one. You know?"

Mr. Porter smiled, placing his hand over my wrist. "It's kind of you to care about others, but right now you're hurting and it's really obvious. If Connor really does care for you and could be the one, then he should understand why you're doing this. It doesn't mean it's completely over for you two, it just means that your time could be a little later down the road."

I nodded, starting to become confused and overwhelmed by my feelings.

"You know how Connor is, Elizabeth. If you two did decide to take a break, and he truly does love you, he'll just continue to be flirty with you. It'd be like how you two were before you put a label on this. That could really be the main problem for you, you're not ready to label anything. Just think about it, okay?"

I nodded once more, staring down at my hands.

"I'm just worried that everything going on in your life right now might drag you down the wrong path. Think about your future, Elizabeth, because it has the potential to be a bright one."

-

-

-

-

i love mr. porter