twenty-six

Connor and I watched as Elijah and Ellie dropped their jackets near the door and sat wherever they found comfortable.

"Why aren't y'all at homecoming right now? Not that I'm complaining or anything." I smiled up at Connor, thinking back to a few minutes earlier. He glanced down, giving my waist a light squeeze.

"I told you, dickhead, they were going to get it on tonight." Ellie got up to smack Elijah's arm. I sat up slowly in my spot, feeling Connor reposition his hold of me.

"We weren't going to do anything tonight, his mother is down the hall Ell." Elijah pointed at myself, letting out a loud 'ow' followed by a hushed whimper. He rubbed his arm, turning away from Ellie.

Connor tried to calm things, "Okay, but why are you guys here and not at homecoming?" Elijah and Ellie exchanged glances, waiting for someone to give an answer.

"Your friend is abusive and rude as fuck. I honestly don't know how you can call her your best friend, Elizabeth." Ellie stood up to defend herself, yelling about how Elijah wanted us to be safe.

"Well, Elijah wanted to make sure y'all wouldn't do something you'd regret! I'm only abusive when it's needed." Elijah stood up to retaliate but that was when I decided to butt in.

"Why do you care so much about our personal life? So what if we sleep together, it's none of your business! It's literally no one's business besides the two of us. I know that may be hard for you to understand since you literally make it everyone's business about anything sexual you do." Connor moved his hand to my hip, looking between Ellie, Elijah and I.

"Babe."

Ellie scoffed, crossing her arms. "It's obviously not Connor's business either, considering he doesn't know how much of a prude virgin you are."

Despite Connor trying to keep me next to him and in the room, I rolled off the bed and marched out of the room. I figured I'd just go into the bathroom until I was cooled down. We just went through a rollercoaster of emotions in that bedroom, and I only wanted to know one thing. Why was it all targeted at me and my sex life?

I took a few deep breaths while sitting on the bathroom counter, then splashed some cold water onto my face. I slowly walked back to the guest bedroom, hearing their voices as I neared. The door was still open from when I had rushed out, but that only meant I could eavesdrop.

"You're just going to have to tell her sooner or later, you know that, right?" Connor was speaking to the others probably.

"Why can't you just tell her, you're her boyfriend?" Ellie spoke back, her voice laced with annoyance. You could tell she was still feeling hurt from my words earlier.

"This isn't my problem, it was created between the two of you. I only know about it because my best friend happened to be in on it."

What does he mean, in on it? This was all going downhill in my head, quite quickly. Before I depressed myself before even intervening the three, I moved to stand in the doorway. I didn't say anything, but just stood there to see what would happen.

They all turned, and we just stared at each other for a while. I crossed my arms, leaning against the side of the door frame. "What is it that I need to be told? Assuming by your conversation you just had, it must not be that pretty."

Ellie and Elijah exchanged looks before Elijah sighed and stood up. "Fine, I'll tell her. Do you want to know why we've been so invasive of your sex life? Ellie and I had a bet going on about when or if you'd sleep with Connor before school was over. Ellie, if you couldn't guess, bet that you'd sleep with him, and I said you wouldn't."

Connor and Ellie kept their heads down. I nodded slowly, "Who knows about the bet?"

Ellie looked up confused, probably wondering why I haven't flipped shit yet. "What? Why would that be your concern?" I rolled my eyes.

"Did I ask for your opinion? No, now tell me, who else knows about this?"

Their heads went back down, "Probably the whole school by now."

I shook my head, this was unbelievable. Why is this even worth gossiping about, I just don't understand. This school needs help, I swear.

"Can no one have privacy these days? I fucking hate this place."

I turned on my heel and started hopping down the steps and out the front door. From behind, I could hear Connor yell out my name, which was tempting to run back but I couldn't. I had to get away from people, and they just had to respect that.

-

-

-

-

v o t e a n d c o m m e n t