CHAPTER TWO

I don't dare let go of Mommy's hand as we walk into my new classroom. My new teacher, a pretty blonde lady who looks about in her twenties stood on the other side of the room introducing herself to other kids my age. I look up at Mommy and squeeze her hand.

"Mommy," I start. "Please don't leave me here."

She smiles and kneels down to my height. She takes my other hand.

"You're going to be fine, sweetie. I will be back later to pick you up. But this will be a fun new adventure! We are going to meet your teacher and you can make some friends!" She smiles reassuringly. "Don't be scared."

"I'm not scared," I remark. But I lied. I'm terrified. Mommy is leaving me with some stranger all day. Kindergarten is scary.

"Let's go meet your teacher," she says, standing up and walking me over to the pretty blonde woman.

We walk through the colorfully decorated classroom over to my teacher. There are maybe... 13 other kids in the room too. Some are talking with one another and others are clinging to their mommies and daddies.

My teacher turns to us. Mommy holds out her hand and they shake. "Hello! This is Rayne," she says. I shy away and grab Mommy's dress.

The blonde woman holds her hand out to me. "Well hello Rayne. I'm Miss Scott." I look up and Mommy gives me a warning look. I reluctantly shake her hand.

"Isn't that a pretty dress!" She exclaims, gesturing at the outfit Mommy bought me for my first day.

"Thank you," I say quietly.

Miss Scott turns to Mommy. "Did you sign up for any of the parties or clubs?"

"Yeah. The- uh, hey Rayne. Why don't you go meet some of your classmates, huh? It'll be fun! Go make some friends." She releases my hand and pushes me towards a group of girls.

I shy away and decide to just find the desk with my name on it. I walk around a little until I see it on the desk in the back corner. I go over, but before I sit down, I notice to the left of my desk sits a boy with dirty blonde hair and green eyes. He is wearing a blue baseball cap. He isn't talking to anybody either.

I walk up and carefully place my Hello Kitty folder down on my desk and turn to him. "Hi!" I say. He looks up, startled.

"Um... hi," he says back. "What are you doing?"

I pause. "I'm making a new friend!" I exclaim, holding out my hand just like Mommy did with Miss Scott.

He smiles and shakes my hand rather aggressively. "Oh. Ok! What is your name?"

I smile and take a seat in my desk. "My name is Rayne! R-A-Y-N-E," I spell out as I point to each letter on my name tag. "What is your name?"

He pulls his chair out and sits in it sideways to face me. "My name is Jace," he states.

"Cool name!" I exclaim.

There is a small silence between us.

He leans in a little. "Are you scared?"

I laugh a little. "Yeah. A little. But my Mommy says that she will be back to pick me up. So I don't have to be scared for very long." I pause. "Are you?"

"No!" he says suddenly and he turns to face the front again.

I laugh at him. "Yes you are!"

"No I'm not!" he says defensively.

"Don't worry. I won't tell anyone," I say. He turns back to me and smiles a little. There is another pause.

"Do you have any pets?" I ask. I notice Mommy and Miss Scott are done talking and she is coming over to where we are.

"I have a doggy," he starts. Mommy comes up and leans down to hug me.

"Hey sweetie! I am going to go now, ok? I will be back in a couple hours to get you. Have fun!"

Before she leaves, she notices Jace. "Hi!" she says. "What's your name?"

"That's Jace," I answer quickly. "He has a doggy."

Mommy smiles and laughs, though I don't know why. "Really? That's cool. Anyways, I have to go. I love you. Have fun with your friend!" And she leaves the room.

I turn back to Jace. "That was my Mommy."

He nods. "That's cool."

"Do you want to be my friend?" I ask.

"Hmm," he thinks out loud. "Sure!"

I smile and we start talking again. This is great. I have a best friend and a nice teacher. This isn't going to be so bad.