CHAPTER FOUR

I'm sitting in the back of our old Honda. I'm 13, no. 14. My parents in the front. My dad driving. My mom in the passengers seat. 

"Mom, when are we going to be there?" I ask.

She laughs. "Just wait. We'll be there soon." 

I love my mom's laugh. It's one of those contagious ones that you can't help but laugh along when you hear it. I look a lot like her. We have the same long, curly brown hair. The same gray-blue eyes that seem to change color. Same light complexion. Same pointed nose.

My dad has dark hair and brown eyes. Andrew looks more like him. Both tall and lean. 

We had been out on a long day of birthday surprises. We had gone to lunch at my favorite burger place, and now we were headed to my next surprise stop. It was the best day of my life. 

And that's when he came at us head on, full speed.

The thing that annoys me most is that the drunk one walked away. Minor scrapes. But of course, not my parents.

The car came at the front of the car. Head on collision. I remember the windshield shattering over my parents. My dad being shoved into the wheel. My mom crushed by the dashboard. Screaming. I hit the chair in front of me, my seat belt grabbing, knocking the wind out of me and my legs being crushed between my seat and my mom's. The pain was almost too much. All the windows. Shattered. I remember looking around and seeing the glass shards. Sticking out of my legs. My arms. My blood everywhere.

And it hurt. It hurt so bad.

The sirens. The flashing lights. When they had to pry my legs out. The agonizing pain that ensued. 

But it was nothing compared to when I looked around and saw that my parents... didn't make it out. I screamed. My brain trying to do a million things at once. My parents. Gone. I screamed. I looked down and saw my legs bending in different directions and I screamed. 

The paramedics pulled me into the ambulance but I sat up and tried to climb out. I couldn't just leave them in the car. They grabbed me and closed the doors. I fought. I kicked and screamed and bit and clawed. Nothing worked. 

I just wanted to be with mom and dad. I couldn't just leave them! I cried and cried and tears soaked my shirt.

I sit up in a cold sweat. It's 11:58. That nightmare again. Every night. I breathe for a second and pull my knees to my chest and break out into heart-wrenching sobs. 

They were there. Then the next second they weren't. 

I cry for a while longer then reach over and grab my phone off my end table. I opened up messages and text Jace.

RAYNE: Hey. R U up?

A couple minutes later.

JACE: yeah. Whats up

RAYNE: Same nightmare

JACE: oh. just breathe. Its ok. Im here 4 U

RAYNE: I just want them back

JACE: I know. Rayne, Im sorry. But youll see them again. we will all see them again.

RAYNE: But I want them here. Now. with me

JACE: yeah. But just think. youll see them again soon enough. then youll be with them forever.

RAYNE: yeah.

JACE: U ok?

I pause a second before answering.

RAYNE: havent been since that day

He doesn't answer for a second.

JACE: I know. U need anything?

RAYNE: No. just talking with U helps. Thanks.

JACE: Yeah. course. im always up for talking

I don't answer.

JACE: so hows Ur cough?

RAYNE: lets just say, I aint coming to school tomorrow

JACE: o man. sorry. being sick sucks

RAYNE: yup. sure does suck

JACE: im sorry. I really gtg. ill text U tomorrow

RAYNE: wait. one more thing

JACE: yeah?

RAYNE: do U honestly believe ill get to see them again

JACE: yes. dont U? im sure somewhere... in another place, they are together and happy just waiting for U and Andrew. i know Ur going to see them again someday

I smile. 

RAYNE: thanku

JACE: yep. nighto

RAYNE: night (:

I put my phone back down and lay my head down on my pillow and stare at my ceiling. 

Mom... Dad... if you are listening. I miss you. I miss you a lot. And if Jace is right... then I look forward to seeing you guys again. I'm sorry.

I turn to my side and close my eyes.