Chapter IV

FOR THE NEXT SIX MONTHS, Theodosius faithfully supplied Tansy with a variety of teas, potions, philters, tinctures, unguents, poultices and other things that are hard to spell. Nothing seemed to have much effect, and no one was more disappointed than he was.

"I think it's time to give up, Theo," Tansy sighed, sitting on the floral armchair in the corner of Theo's spotless shop.

They had become familiar over the months. Theo had watched Tansy over time, coming to know her, and he had seen her diminish. The grief she felt at her grandfather's illness so distracted there that it was obvious in her appearance. Once, when she came to pick up a remedy, she had a stain on her bodice. Another time, she had left behind her reticule. And once, her hair, which was normally so neatly braided, did not seem to have been brushed in two days.

It was as if her anguish over coming closer to the inevitable end—giving up—was sapping her strength.

Theo handed Tansy a cup of tea. He hesitated, but bravely patted her hand. "Dear Tansy, don't say that."

"It's true, though. Nothing has worked."

"Not yet," said Theo, "But there is still one thing to try."

"What could possibly work when all your magical remedies have failed?"

Terror tickled the place behind Theo's heart. At first he thought it was because of what he was about to recommend. But then he realized he had heard tears in Tansy's voice, and the thought of her crying was the scariest thing he could imagine. "Tansy," he said.

"What, then? It isn't that I am not grateful, I just—" She sniffed. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to do this ... I know you've tried so hard to help us." She rummaged in her reticule and produced a handkerchief.

Theo hesitated, watching her dab her tears. He had done a lot of thinking over the past weeks and was now more convinced than ever that, although he was still quite young for a sorcerer and doubtless had enough mystical and wondrous deeds ahead of him to fill a hundred books of history, and the proper thick ones, too, healing Tansy's grandfather's mind was the most important work he would do in his life. He was convinced of this because he loved Tansy, and to love a woman is a very clarifying thing.

"Theo?" Tansy's voice was small.

The sound of the nickname coming from Tansy's lips in that sad, trusting voice made Theo's heart quiver. "I think we should attempt an invocation."

"