-Chapter 20-

My foot landed on a circle.

Like outside, the light didn't come through the black. It was just a cavern of darkness that stretched to the ends of the earth, lit only by a glowing sphere in the center of the room.

There was no ground. Just circles a shade lighter than ebony every few feet, showing where to step.

My muscles tensed--tightened into immovable balls. A strangled noise tore its way from my throat and bounced around the room. Heat burned my chest, my head, my body.

There wasn't anything where the black was. Nothing. Just a place to fall. Down, down, into nothingness.

Falling forever, then some more.

Any movement I'd make would send me tumbling down. What if the circle gave out beneath me and I fell? What I stepped to the next one and tripped?

I'm not afraid of the height, but of the fall.

Speaking couldn't hurt me. It wouldn't. Speaking wouldn't hurt me.

"William."

Speaking louder certainly wouldn't hurt me.

A choked word flew from my lips. "William."

If I didn't breath, I'd pass out.

"Curly!"

He was on the other side. He'd make it. Bounced across to the center with the light in no time.

He waved his arms. "What are you doing here?"

A voice could get lost in all the darkness.

"Elora."

One word. That was it. All I could force from my mouth.

With my one word, William ran over to the light. He knew what I was saying. He knew Elora, along with the other Fiannu, was trying to get to us. "Come on!" he yelled. "Help me!"

No. Help me.

I barely shook my head. The black in between the circles could've gone down to the very depths of the earth, then back.

"Clair, c'mon!"

I can't. I can't. I can't, I can't, I can't.

I need to.

A small stab of pain shot through my head. Get over it, stupid. Go, help the boy.

Even Rosinka thought I was being dumb.

Then again, her words were quieter than they'd ever been. Maybe she had a great dislike for heights, too.

You won't fall.

Considering that I had yet to make myself move a millimeter, I certainly wouldn't.

"Clair?"

I looked back at William again. He stared at me, close to the edge of the black. "Are you okay?" he called.

Through rapid breaths, I managed to respond. "No. I'm not. I--I can't come over there."

He waited a moment, then did something I never thought he would do.

He hopped onto the first circle and made his way to me.

My chest constricted as he made the step to my circle, like the back of my mind was saying the stone would collapse with just a few extra pounds. William wrapped his wooden hand around mine.

"Breathe in slowly through your nose. Copy me." He raised his shoulders up, then down to show me the timing.

"Heights?" he asked.