-Chapter 25-

"Oh, gee, ya think?"

'Moving's not an option.' What a genius.

I took another step back to find myself directly against William. Pitch-black eyes blinked at us from behind the bushes, not moving, just staring.

Waiting.

Waiting for an order.

The single pair of bright red irises caught my attention again. They were different. The other ones were definitely Murae, but those were more human.

More familiar.

Merlin shifted his weight, which caused a series of growls to rise up from the ground.

"We need to run," he mumbled.

William turned his head to stare at him. "Please, tell me where to run to. I'll be more than happy to go."

Merlin shook his head. "That not what I mean." He lowered his voice to a volume that I could only hear a quiet hiss, but Will nodded his head like he understood him.

The bush containing the red eyes shivered. "Will," I hissed. "Please tell me you have a plan."

"Just... just follow Merlin."

Follow Merlin. What kind of idea is that?

One that'll get your butt saved, Rosi. Now shut up.

Hm. Thought you didn't trust him.

I glanced at Merlin. His fists were clenched and shaking so hard they had almost become blurry. His eyes narrowed the slightest bit, hardly noticeable. He scanned each section of the forest, searching for an open pathway.

No. I trusted him. Maybe not completely, but I trusted him enough to get us out of the muraes.

I believe in him much more than I believe in you.

Oh, ouch. I'm stung.

All of the sudden, every murae rose from the bushes. There were at least twelve of them circling us, standing on the tips of their toes, ready for a chase.

They were the hunters, we were the hunted.

Something still nagged at me though. None of the muraes had red eyes. Ever. They'd always been as black as a starless sky.

That meant red eyes wasn't a murae.

Before I could process my thoughts any further, a slow clap burst through the tense silence.

"Well, done, boys. Very well done."

My stomach dropped like a ten-pound weight. I knew the voice. The smooth, snake-like voice dripped with a type of hiss I couldn't name.

The leader stepped out from behind the nearest tree. The was more smoke-like than I remembered him being. Instead of obvious feet, a cloud of black oozed around his feet, a loose strand popping up every now and then to wave in the air. Gray swirls wisped around his body and coursed through his skin.

The Mouse King took a step closer. On of his seven heads smiled, while the others snarled or smirked. His eyes skimmed over me, lingered on Merlin, and stopped on Will. "I believe you have something of mine?"

The cavalier. Don't even think about it, buddy.

I wrinkled my brow. Every time Rosinka spoke, it felt as if a dagger was being drawn through my brain.

I couldn't afford that.

William tensed beside me. I could feel it--every ounce of him wanted to throw himself onto the seven headed freak and hurt him.