-Chapter 34-

One of us dies.

Sweat dripped down the back of my neck--not from heat, but nerves. Fear.

My father, no, the thing in my father's body, hovered near the edge of the circle, one hand trembling in front of him, other near his hip. As soon as King had finished talking, Dad started to pace like a wolf in its cage, waiting for prey.

I had yet to move. As soon as I did, it would be me against the monster.

Me against my father.

He had to remember. He'd known me for fourteen years; he had to have something screaming at him that it was me. His daughter.

My throat unclenched. "Dad?" I whispered.

His response was to charge.

I jumped out of the way, but just barely. His fingertips skimmed my side.

King cackled. "Calling for daddy won't work, child."

I didn't have a chance to reply. I was too busy trying not to be punched in the mouth.

King crossed his arms. "Magic, one of you, please! It makes it much more entertaining."

My father tensed up. Fists clenched, he tilted his head to the side and stared at my left shoulder, hard.

I bent my knees so his stare would soar over me, but heat already prickled against my skin. Burning pain erupted in my bones as the cloth around the spot burst into red and orange flames.

I screeched. A spell came to my mind. Trying it was my best option; it was either that or willingly burst into flames. "Nerua!"

A weak spout of water teased the fire enough for it to sizzle out.

Momentary relief washed over me, followed by a wave of exhaustion. The world in front of me turned into a blob and rocked side to side like a ship.

My knees hit the ground. Air sucked into my lungs, sending the rocking boat soaring.

Through miles and miles of fog, King cried out, "Magic isn't free, girl!"

No, really? I hadn't noticed that. Somehow, I managed to roll away from a blow of my father's. I don't know if he used magic that time or not, everything was too far away.

Warmth hit my cheeks, growing stronger the longer it stayed. Again, I rolled. A fireball smashed into the place I was last.

Get up. Get up or you're toast.

Knees like noodles, I managed to stand. From the corner of my eyes, I noticed King bob his head. Water lay in a puddle a few feet away from him, ripples through it every step someone took.

Water I cast.

Spells travel out of the ring.

That was workable.

I ran up so I stood in the middle of the giant circle. My bare feet tingled at the touch of the cool metal in the center.

Then I went stupid.

"Yo!" In as much of an overdramatic-not-scared-out-of-my-wits fashion as I could muster, I pointed to Dad. "Betcha can't hit a barn with your fireball from there, so why would you hit me?"

He stopped, suddenly stunned, and raised an eyebrow.

I've gone insane.

He was all of ten feet away, but I still shouted. "Fire away, chicken!"