3.A confession and a kiss

"I'm thirsty, let's go get something to drink." Shanon says as we stop running in front of Starbucks. He holds my hand and we walk in. The place is unsurprisingly packed. We walk further in to line up in the queue but as soon as he spots someone, a gasp escapes his mouth, one that makes some heads turn to us including hers. He tries to slip his hand from mine but I tighten my grip on it, not wanting him to cause any trouble.

It didn't take much to recognize Katie. I vividly remember one night when I was skyping with Shanon when he first got with her. He kept on raving about her, how she was beautiful, with dirty blonde hair and ocean blue eyes, just like him, and how well she treated him and cheered him up in games. He didn't just love the way she looks, he loved her heart, the way she behaved and she treated him and the people around her. For him, she seemed beautiful inside out, well until that day.

Now looking at her, I can confirm how pretty she looks. She turns to us with a boy by her side, their hands intertwined. Her body sends hostile vibes the moment she sees me next to Shanon. She's wearing some crop top that shows some cleavage and she's leaning on the boy's chest, with his hand on her back. She manages to brew a reaction from Shanon who squeezes my hand sternly.

"Oh hi Shane, didn't know you'd be in LA this summer" her high pitch makes her lie obvious. Her voice contrasts with her delicate looks, it is rather annoying. Damn, how did he stand her all that time.

I look at Shanon and his veins are almost popping out of his forehead, a sign of anger he has developed over the years. I nudge him slightly by the elbow and he caresses my hand with his thumb, reassuring me that he will not cause a scene in public.

"Sure you didn't." is all he says with an annoyed expression.

"How've you been?" she tries to sound decent but I cringe whenever she speaks. She deliberately takes her boy friend's hand to her shoulder and gives him the fakest smile I could see. Poor thing, he doesn't know what he signed for

"I was good."

"Come one Shanon, can we be decent and have a conversation like normal people?" She says while she plays with locks of her hair and chews gum in a nasty way.

Girl is trying so hard to piss him off. I can't believe this is the same girl he told me about!

"I'm actually somewhere between better and best. Highschool's over and with it all the silly bullshit, I'm ready for college life, with my girl who will join me soon." I had to catch up fast and close my gaping mouth, as he hugs my shoulders and gives me a warm genuine smile.

"See you never!" with that, he yanks my hand and we take long strides outside of the coffee shop, never once looking back.

"Fuck!" he lets out as soon as we're out, kicking a stone with his foot as hard as he can. I'm afraid to say anything wrong.

"I... I don't know what to say... How come..." I stutter.

"Out of all the places, and all the cities!
How come she's here in LA?" he takes his hand away from mine to tug angrily at the roots of his hair. He must've had told her before that he comes here in the summertime.

"Come one babe, let's get away from here." I cross my fingers behind me, put my arms on his shoulder and give him a light hug and a quick kiss on the cheek. "Come, I'll buy you ice cream." he has a small smile on his lips but I know it's not the real Shanon smiling. We buy two triple-flavor ice creams from a nearby shop and walk home in complete silence.

He is distracted the whole time. I know he acted all tough in front of her but I can feel weakness crawling back to him. It's not easy talking that way to a girl you once considered special. A one year relationship ending abruptly must be hard to take on. And seeing her with someone else so fast is just frustrating.