4.He loves me back, I guess?

I may be crazy for skipping the stairs two at a time like a four year old, just because Shanon kissed me. It's true that he didn't say a word to me and he had a weird look on, but I will worry about that later. I shouldn't get my hopes up and rush to conclusions but the way he made my stomach flutter overpowers my worries.

Shanon goes ahead and leaves the room before me so when I go downstairs, I can see through the large windows my parents, Julie and her boyfriend Brandon and him. I'm about to join them outside in the garden when a pair of small warm hands cover my eyes. I stop in my tracks and feel a mini heart attack at the thought of a thief being just behind me. Who might this be? I'm sure I have seen them all outside. I lift my hands to touch the fingers and when I feel a certain ring, I squeal in excitement.

"Debby!" I turn around and squeeze my best friend in a humongous hug.

"Easy there! Geez Josy when will you grow up?" she chuckles as she hugs me and then pulls back.

"I thought you were some thief."

"A thief who covers your eyes and plays hide and seek with you, right silly?" she rolls her eyes
which wins her a light spank on the head. I put my arm over Deborah's shoulder and we join everyone outside. Debby has been my best friend since the first grade and she knows about my crush on Shany. Even though the school year is over, we always meet up during summer especially that her house is within walking distance from mine.

"Oh Josy honey, Deborah called when you were out with Shanon this morning and I invited her to have lunch with us." my mom says, flipping the pieces of meat on the barbecue. Debby gives me a dirty smirk and I wink at her. She has always wanted me to confront him because we're 'cute together', her words not mine. Now I finally have some tea to spill.

"Of course mom. Thanks for inviting her." Debby and I catch up on our news before Shanon joins us in a chat about senior year and he tells us about his experience. Julie is on the swing set with Brandon, occasionally stealing kisses thinking no one saw them. My mom and dad are preparing our plates.

"Come kids, it's better served hot." my dad yells, and we gather around the wooden table surrounded by bushes of flowers and trees.

"Any news on your health uncle Toby?" Debby asks as she stuffs a fork of grilled salmon dipped in bbq sauce in her mouth and sends in a piece of chips after it. Deborah is like a family member, she knows me and my family to the core. They consider her a daughter and share family secrets with her.

"None currently. Last time I had a checkup with the doctor, he said I'm fine and my heart is working well. I must avoid anger and stress but that goes without saying." my father has been sick since Julie and I were little. We never knew what is it exactly but we know that his heart is weak and that we can't do anything to make him lose his temper. He got very sick once and was hospitalized for a couple of days but that was the only time.

We continue eating our lunch, occasionally talking and laughing. My parents ask Brandon about his family to get to know him better and my mom tells Shanon that his mom did call to say he'll stay with us till they get here next weekend.

I didn't pay much attention the whole time because I couldn't help staring at Shanon. He didn't notice since he was talking with my parents and Brandon. He and my parents get along so well which makes me jealous sometimes. I wonder if he thinks about me or about the kiss. Did he feel the same tension and pleasure I did?

"Thanks for the tlunch." is what gets me back to this world. I bet my saliva was hanging low thinking about Shanon. Great! I've been daydreaming while everybody finished their meal.

"Quick, Josy, Shanon, let's go to the pool. Julie, Brandon come with us." Debby yells. I look for mom and she ushers me to go enjoy my time. I'm usually the one who washes the dishes at lunch time, but since Debby's here, she doesn't mind doing them herself. In a matter of minutes, we change into our swimming suits and we jump into the pool, splashing each other and doing contests of who can stay under water the longest. I got my green bikini on and when Shanon eyes my body from head to toe, I feel exposed. Even when I jump into the pool, he keeps on stealing glances at me and I find it hard to hide my grin.