Chapter 2: Calm After the Storm

September, 2016

The morning sun engulfed the hotel room, shining rays of light upon Sakura's face. Though the sun persisted in its attempts to wake her up, she rolled over and snuggled deeper into the silky sheets of the bed. A little while later, there were three loud knocks on the door of the room. Still not wanting to leave the comfortable bed, Sakura ignored the knocks. Three knocks were heard again but this time, they were followed by a shout, "Room service!"

The aroma of food entered Sakura's nostrils as she lied on the bed. Her eyes fluttered open and she sat up clutching the blanket to her chest. She didn't remember ordering any food. With her eyebrows furrowed, she got out of bed and slipped on the robe provided by the hotel. As she made her way to the dining area, she heard the humming of an old lady.

"Good morning, darling." She bowed politely in Sakura's direction. "I hope you like pancakes, dear. It's the chef's special today." The old lady continued to carry bowls of sweets and savories to the table. There were strawberries, bananas, cream, and even bacon. Sakura's mouth began to water. It had been a long time since she ate such a large meal.

Sakura hugged the robe closer to her body. "Sorry but I think you have the wrong room. I didn't order any of this."

With a mirth in her eyes, the lady looked at Sakura. "This must be your first time staying here." She gestured towards the food, "All of this comes complimentary with your stay."

Sakura pulled out a chair and sat down at the table. She timidly picked up a fork and started to push the food around. She couldn't remember the last time she felt this awkward. It was one thing for her father to bring her breakfast in bed but a maid delivering it to her room? This was a completely new experience for her, but she was grateful because her stomach had been grumbling ever since she had woken up. As the maid started pushing the trolley away, she stopped and pulled something out of her pocket.

"I was told to give you this, dear." She placed a piece of paper the table. "Now eat up. I can hear your stomach growling all the way from over here." She giggled and returned to the trolley. Sakura's face flushed a soft pink before she giggled as well. Moving to Tokyo was a big step for Sakura. After all, Tomoeda is basically non-existent in most people's minds. The kindness and attention that the old woman had given her made her feel right at home.

She took bite of a strawberry and opened the card. In fine, cursive writing the card read:

Hello,

The check-out is set for 11:00am.

Remember to pay-it-forward!

The note was simple and straight to the point. He could've at least written his name, she thought. Sakura traced the decorative border with her fingers. On the bottom, right hand corner of the paper, it read: Li Resorts Tokyo.

The hall outside her room was quiet. One would think there was no one staying at this hotel. Sakura tip-toed towards the elevator, scared of disturbing the other people on the floor. Thankfully for her, it was empty. She pressed the button for ground floor and closed her eyes.

Today is going to be a good day.

The wheels of her suitcase on the polished floors was the only source of comfort for Sakura. Unlike the night before, there were several people in the foyer. Speaking all kinds of languages that she couldn't understand. Walking past the hordes of people, she made her way to the reception. The girl that had helped yesterday was not sitting there today. Instead, a much older man greeted her. Sakura handed the key card over and waited.

"Could you please tell me what name the room was under?" Sakura asked. She recalled that she hadn't given the man her name, nor did she sign anything. Perhaps this was her chance to find out his name.