Chapter 20

Been trying to be consistent with these updates y'all. 

I'm so bored with life right now so I will have the time to update whenever it reaches 20+ comments. 

I literally have nothing else to do so, the sooner the comments come, the sooner the update. I'm gonna post Loving You (Sequel to Loving Carter) here shortly too by the way.

The song above is sooooo good, once again, LOVE me some Brantley Gilbert man.  

Anywhoreeeeeeee....

INLINE COMMENTS

20+

ENJOY ♥

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

Nyla POV

I would never imagine seeing Maverick break down the way he did the other night. I haven't seen him since actually.He asked that I just go to the home my Dad bought down here, and I complied, no matter how bad I didn't want that. He figured he would be better off alone for a little bit, and it has been torture. I haven't gotten a decent amount of sleep in the bed alone, and the bags under my eyes show it. I frown, putting the finishing touches on my makeup. 

"Lord, be with us." I sigh. 

Today was Taj's funeral and I couldn't be more scared for Maverick, who wasn't forced to speak, but didn't want to at the same time. I was just ready to see him, hold him, just be there for him like he wasn't allowing me to be. 

I check my phone as I parked outside the church. Nothing. It's been that way for the past few days, other than him asking if I needed anything, and my response always fall along the lines of 'I need you', and sometimes he'd say he loved and miss me, and other times, nothing at all.

Yeah three days may not seem long, but it is when you're just craving the presence of your person. I shake my head getting out of the car. 

Upon walking in, I immediately made eye contact with Maverick's mother, who insisted I sit with them. She waves me over with one hand, while wiping her face with a Kleenex with the other hand. 

"Oh I know you must feel so alone." she hugs me. I hug back a little confused as how she knows exactly what I've been feeling. "Maverick does that when he doesn't know how else to deal with his emotions."

"Oh I've been okay." I shrug a little. "How are you?"

"I'm okay as well." she nods. I felt a hand on my lower back, and from the feeling of comfort, and Sky's kicking, I knew exactly who it was. 

"I'll leave you two to talk." she gives my hand a little squeeze before walking away. I turn to face him. His eyes were low and red. I tilt my head looking at him.

"Are you high Maverick?"

"Shh! Not anymore." he laughs a bit. I just stare at him. I wasn't too crazy about that, but if that would help him cope with this, then I guess I'll deal with it.

I stare at Maverick as he stood behind a podium, keeping his head down. Silent sniffles from family, friends, teachers, classmates, etc filled the silence every now and then. 

"Taj, was uh, born with a very rare heart defect." he began. "A child with his condition isn't known to make past the age 6. And I am forever grateful to have been able to enjoy four extra years with Taj. He was smart, funny, and just hands down the coolest kid I know." he pauses. "I knew he didn't have very long to live so, I started taking him to sporting events, and things like that. Just to let him enjoy whatever time he had left. And Taj became my best friend." he laughs a bit, shaking his head. "I learned so much from that kid." his voice cracks. I wipe at the tears coming down my face. "Things about him, things about life, and even things about myself. And thought Taj is in a better place, and no longer suffering, 'if I could bring him back, and give him every organ in my body to keep his amazing spirit here, I would do it in a heartbeat." he drops his head, now crying. "And I know Taj wouldn't even accept that because that's just how selfless he is. We walk the earth unaware of why we are even here sometimes, but Taj knew as soon as he survived his first near death experience that he was put here to bring light into every life he touched. Many times, he would just look at me, or the other kids and say 'When I walk into that light, I hope you remember mine.' And as I stand here, literally struggling to even hold myself together, I realize that it's not even possible to forget it. Taj was my best friend, my wingman, and my hero. This is only see you later, not goodbye." he sobs."Thank you." he nods, stepping down and taking a seat next to me.