Chapter 2

"Grief doesn't change you,

Hazel. It reveals you."

- The Fault In Our Stars, John Green.

FOUR YEARS EARLIER

Alison

I was watching the news like I did every Sunday afternoon in Los Angeles when his face came across the screen. I smiled to myself, knowing that my plan had worked.

It had been so long since I had seen him, too; I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to catch up and see if he remembered me, if he didn't then the plan would go off without a hitch.

I saw UCLA Medical Center at the bottom of the screen, I grabbed my keys, and jumped in my car and drove to my destination.

It took all of twenty minutes to actually drive there and get up to his room. He was awake, good.

"Hey, Ezra!" I smiled sweetly at him and he looked at me in confusion.

"I'm sorry...but, do I know you?" He cleared his throat awkwardly and studied my face, trying to remember me.

"You don't remember?" I asked with a fake sadness in my tone that he wouldn't be able to pick up. He didn't remember! In his mind, I never lied to him about my age, he didn't know Aria, he didn't know me...I could start over with him!

"No," he answered, scrutinizing my every action, trying so hard to remember something, anything.

"I'm Alison...I'm your girlfriend of seven years.." I lied, rushing over to him and caressing his cheek, gently. He winced.

"Really? You're my girlfriend? Because I only remember Jackie...what happened to Jackie?" He asked, looking around the room as if she would walk out from the bathroom at any given moment.

"You broke up...she broke the engagement off and you came to Rosewood. That's where you and I met. We've been together for seven years." I quickly made up a believable story and he nodded in comprehension.

"I'm so sorry...but I don't remember anything," he spoke quietly, softly. I always liked the way he talked. "What year is it?"

"It's 2018...and everything's okay, I'm gonna help you remember. We'll get back to where we were," I smiled sincerely and he smiled back, pulling me in for a hug.

"I really am sorry." I inhaled his sweet scent. Maybe I was a terrible friend for doing this to Aria, but she of everyone should know that I always got what I wanted. I was going to win. I knew I had already won. Everything.

ONE YEAR LATER

"Alison..." he started, but he stopped and closed his eyes, controlling his anger. I was scared...I probably screwed everything up for good this time.

"Alison...is it even mine?" he asked, eyes still closed, posture rigid.

Tears escaped down my cheeks, I didn't mean for this to happen. I never wanted this to happen.

"No," I whispered.

"I need a minute," he grabbed his coat and scarf and walked outside our apartment, slamming the door, making me jump.

I really, really screwed up.

Ezra

Alison was the love of my life. She meant everything to me. So how could she just do this? How could she go out and screw around with anyone and everyone she wants to? How is it that I was so blind? I didn't see any of this coming...