Chapter 5

"In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, because it prolongs the torment of man." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Spencer

My eyes lingered on Aria for another moment. "Are you sure you don't want to come explore California with us? You can't sit here in a pool of sadness just because Ezra dampened the mood." She winced at the sound of his name but then shook her head violently.

"For the last time, Spencer, no! You go have fun with Hardy."

Ever since she came home from lunch this afternoon she'd been different. Not quite happy, but not quite sad. I've known that Ezra has changed her moods before but not this bipolar-like. Hardy looked at me and shrugged.

"Okay...well we'll be sure to get you something or something," I said, I felt so bad. She's been through so much for seven years and then she finds out in one day that the love of her life doesn't even remember her. I shut the door and my flats patted against the cement steps as we made our way to the lobby. The hotel was, in a nutshell, crappy: the room was pretty shabby and the service was downright cheap, something even I could learn to live without.

"Please tell me you aren't dragging me on a long, meaningless shopping trip.." Hardy whined as we plopped down in the rental car's leather seats The car smelled terribly, the mixture of BO, cigarette smoke, and old alcohol made my nose wrinkle, but we hadn't been in it since the drive from the airport, so anything was better than a blank, white wall and pale, blue sheets.

"You're the official crap carrier." I declared and he chuckled. We snooped around Hollywood for a while, and things were not as glamorous as they're put out to be.

We headed to Venice beach. The shops were crammed and there was a medicinal pot shop on almost every corner.

"Weed love to help ya!" A girl yelled, dressed as a pot leaf, I laughed. From there we went to Beverly Hills; we had a lot of money, Hardy and I were both in the lawyer profession.

As we were rolling through all we could see were fancy shops with glass display windows.

"Babe," Hardy stopped walking at the site of the stores. "Please don't make me go through all of these shops." I chuckled as he stuck out a pouty lip and crossed his arms.

"Just two." He seemed fine with it because he quickly hopped out of the car and offered me his hand, I blushed before taking his hand in mine. We walked silently across the street, my eyes wandered over the many people on the street. My eyes fell on a woman with bouncy, blonde curls with a young daughter who resembled her to the bone on her hip. She was looking in the window of one of the small stores.

"Mommy, how pretty am I?" I smiled at the young girls question, it was too sweet.

"You're the prettiest girl ever, Mar."

That voice. I knew that voice better than anyone else could. I turned to Hardy who gave me a look of confusion. My eyes built up with fury, I had never been so angry before. I took my hand from Hardy's, clenching them into fist, and stomped over to her. My brown hair blew in my face at the hint of California wind. I could feel Hardy trailing not far behind me. I kept my hands clenched at my sides just incase my maroon, floral-print skirt rose up. I was right behind her, she could feel my breath on her neck, she whipped around, her nostrils flaring.

"Alison." I said dryly.

"Spencer." She eyed me, she couldn't escape now and she sure as hell couldn't do anything. I gave the young girl in her arms a sweet smile and she balled her hands up and let them go in a toddler sort of wave, beaming at me. "This is Marley, my daughter." I gulped.