Chapter Twelve: Crimes and Confessions

Seattle; June 22, 2010; 10:24 a.m.

Death is one part of life that no one is prepared to deal with. Even to those who look at it as 'the next great adventure,' and those who think about it with a lethargic nonchalance, the actual thing is gruesome. No creature with any shred of humanity can see death without their world stopping for just a second as they find a new meaning to life.

Shimmer, though she immediately closed down her emotions upon hearing June's words to create a façade of calm rivaled only by the steadfast seriousness that was ever present on Zach's face, was thrown into inner turmoil. The redhead had seen more death than most over the three years of her memory, yet she still felt her eyes grow hot as June spoke. It was not that Shimmer hated death, but that she hated any form of suffering, and she doubted that any kill done by the Cult was done humanely.

Nash was the first to break the silence. "They expect us to come investigate?"

June nodded.

"I can go," Cane offered after a moment. "It won't be my first time."

"It won't be anyone's 'first time,' Cane," June said.

"I have to deny that," Theodore said quickly. "Can't say I've been to a murder scene before."

"It doesn't matter," Shimmer spoke up. "There's no reason for you to go, Theodore. We can't risk exposing you. Anyway, I'm going. Grant, you can come with me if you want; I don't know how it's going to affect your telepathy, so I'll leave that up to you."

"I'll be fine," Nash replied. "And if I can pick up on any residual emotions, it will be for the better."

"You two really don't mind?" June asked. "It seems like you are the only ones to go do any investigative work."

"Which is probably best," Shimmer said. "It only makes sense—by now most people know that we are working on it, but they don't know about the rest of you five. That gives us an edge."

"That's a good point," mused Theodore, "but I don't think we should send only two people. The more sets of eyes, the better."

"Then Branson can come with us," Shimmer said. "Now, if that's settled, we should get going."

"I'll suit up and meet you there," Cane told them, walking towards the hallway three extension.

Shimmer looked at Nash, who gave her a crooked smile. "Let's go see a dead guy."

₪∞₪

"What kind of sick person leaves a body in a park?" Nash asked as their taxi pulled up.

"The kind that wants to make a point," Shimmer offered.

Nash sighed, but not in exasperation. "It was rhetorical."

"I know."

The two climbed out of the back of the taxi and onto the sidewalk, looking at the taped off area swarming with different uniformed officials down the street. The street along the park had been blockaded to prevent any cars from coming close, and swarms of people were being held back by a few men wearing Seattle Police uniforms.

Shimmer resisted the urge to dissolve into the street light next to her to circumvent the throng, instead walking next to Nash and forcing her way through the crowd. As soon as it was made known just who was walking through, a path was made in front of her, and she and Nash made it to the barricade with little trouble. The police officer standing there did no more than nod at them with wide eyes as they passed.