Chapter 3

Having recovered enough to speak, Lex joined in, her voice hoarse from crying. "We need to call the police, someone, anyone. It's bad enough I left Daren to die. He needs a proper burial. Delilah, your parents deserved to know what happened to their son."

"Lex..." Sylver's voice was soft, calm. Too calm. "You don't blame yourself for what happened to Daren, do you?"

She just nodded and bowed her head in shame. "Lex, you were sitting right next to me, there was nothing you do to prevent this. His de-" he choked on the word, taking a breath before continuing. "His death was not your fault."

"Damn it Sylver!" Lex exploded, her sadness and self-loathing quickly transforming into anger. "He was still alive when I dragged you and Delilah out of there. He was still fucking breathing wen we left. I could have saved him!"

"You couldn't save him. He was dead as soon as we saw him. There was no saving him from that."

"I could have at least tried." She stood up, becoming more angry and energetic in her speech. "I could have done something." Lex and Sylver began arguing, Delilah standing next to them, anger growing, causing her to shake.

"Enough!" She shoved them apart, standing on the small coffee table to their right. "I just lost my brother and now we could go to jail and you're arguing over what you could have done. Newsflash: he's dead. And he isn't coming back. Nobody can change that. So what do we do now?"

   Her hands were shaking with rage before she took a deep breath and sat down on the couch once more. Her energy had boiled out of her, leaving her left with only feelings.

   Sylver and Delilah stared at Lex, who sighed and fell back into an over-sized chair. "We still need to tell someone, I meant what I said. Delilah, your parents deserve to know." Sylver sat down next to her silently, letting Lex's argument stand unchallenged. 

   "Then we wait on them to get back. But I'm not going to jail. I'm also not interrupting their trip. This is the biggest deal of their careers."

   "Wait until they get back then?" Sylver input, pausing for a second. "Try and forget until then." The two girls nodded at the statement before everyone branched off to different areas of the house. Sylver washed his hands before beginning diner while Lex and Delilah went to find towels. 

   Twenty minutes later, Lex walked down stairs in some of Delilah's clothes, towel still sitting on her head. She walked over to Sylver to see what he was cooking. His special chicken Parmesan subs. A combination of chicken, ham, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella sauce, Lex's favorite meal.  

   The sound of running water cut off a few minutes later, footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs. Sylver pulled the sandwiches out of the oven and grabbed chips for everyone, each of them taking their plates and sitting on the couch, turned towards the TV.

   The remains of the night faded, and somehow they managed to fall asleep. In the morning they woke up to an alarm. Sylver rolled over to hit the non-existent snooze button, forcing Lex to roll off the couch and onto the floor. She groaned and sat up, rubbing her shoulder and eyes. She sighed heavily before checking the time and swearing. 

   It was 8:33, they had less than an hour to get to school. Lex shook Delilah awake and shoved Sylver to the floor in payback. He somehow managed to remain asleep. So she poured a glass of water on his head. He shot up, hitting his head on the coffee table and knocking over another cup. 

   Lex and Delilah laughed at his misfortune before hurrying to begin getting ready. Lex got up and grabbed the keys and helmet to her motorcycle before grabbing Sylver's hand and dragging him along. They lived on the opposite end of the block , and could use a little speed. 

   Sitting on her black motorcycle, they began the drive down the road, loud bike disturbing the silence of the street. They got to her house and hurried. Unlocking the door and running around. Sylver started breakfast, giving Lex time to get ready.

   When she had finished, she rushed down the stairs an switched with Sylver. With just enough time, they grabbed their food and bags before taking off, down the road to Lakeman High, a fairly relaxed public school that everyone couldn't wait to leave. 

   The panic and rush of the morning had helped them forget about the events of last night. It was still in the back of their minds, lingering, making them all uneasy.

   Lex had just tucked her hair into her helmet and stuck her messenger bag in the pouch on the back of the bike. Sylver wore his, his arms wrapped around Lex, breathing deeply behind her. No matter how many times that he rode with her, he never got over the fear. 

   They slowed as they got into the parking lot, Lex stopping her bike in her usual spot. Sylver dismounted helmet still on when  group of guys whistled. "Damn dude, nice bike."

   Lex pulled off her helmet, purple hair cascading down her shoulders, hair obscuring her left eye. "Thanks," she said while unzipping her leather jacket, revealing a tight, white tank top underneath. 

   "What's the mileage?" A shorter brunette called out from behind the group. Lex shared before saying goodbye to the group. People loved a sexy black bike. Sylver's hair was ruffled from the helmet, which he fixed as they walked to class, meeting up with Delilah on the way. 

   Lunch, the preferred time of day for almost all students. Lex, Sylver, Delilah, and a few other students had taken a table outside. Surprisingly for the weather, they were not the only ones outside. 

   The weather was a cool fifty-three degrees, the fog thick and the clouds covering the sun, leaving it feeling colder. This weather was not unusual for mid to late fall in Evergreen. The city was ironically named, as of the fact that there were never any evergreens in the city limits. They died within three weeks of being planted.