Chapter 4

It wasn't just the evergreens that didn't grow well, any small plants placed in the soil tended to die fairly quickly. It was due to the heavy rains that would wash way the plants before they could take root properly in the semi-loose soil.

   They all sat, talking among one another as they ate, enjoying the cold weather and the time out of class. Lunch was peaceful, they had all calmed, the horror of the night completely disappearing from their minds.

   "Yo Sylver, where's Daren?" Their smiles dropped, Delilah paling at the mention of his name. Sylver was frozen, his hand tightly squeezing Lex's as he tried to come up with an adequate lie.

   "Don't know, he took off last night at like seven, probably off boning some chick." Her voice sounded annoyed, sounding as if she was actually speaking the truth.

   "Damn Daren, you get some!" He looked at Delilah before smiling sheepishly and turning back to his friends. He laughed loudly and Delilah just sighed, shaking her head.

   "Delilah, how long are you going to keep that poor guy waiting? He asked you out like a month ago and you still haven't said anything." Lex brushed her hair behind her shoulder before pointedly staring at Delilah, who in return just glared.

   "Lex, its hardly the time to be thinking about a relationship. Even if it was," she took a deap breath, calming jumbled nerves. "It's too soon."

"Delilah, you said it yourself, it's been two years since the..." her voice stopped as she searched for the proper word. "The incident. Don't you think it would be time to be happy again?"

Delilah looked at Sylver for some form of backup. He shook his head, eyes filled with an unspoken apology. Delilah stood angrily, turning and walking off to the bathroom.

Carson Blackwater, the boy pining for Delilah's interest, walked over; tripping over his own feet half way to the table. He recovered quickly before continuing his walk, a light pink blush dusting his cheeks.

He stood in front of the table, looking around for a few seconds. "Hey, where'd Delilah go?"

"Bathroom, why?"

"Well, I was going to invite her to my party this Friday. Could you relay the information?" He paused, about to walk away before adding, "oh yeah, sorry guys, you're invited to."

"Will there be alcohol?"

"You know it," Lex smiled happily.

"I could really use a drink after the shit that's happened this week." Thankfully, Carson was too far away to hear that last sentence. They finished lunch and walked back to class, where they found Delilah, sitting quietly and playing chess with their teacher.

Sylver grabbed Lex's arm before she could walk in. A good thing he did, because Mr. Blackwater, Carson's twenty-four year old brother, placed her in checkmate before leaning across the desk and giving Delilah a quick, chaste kiss.

Sylver backed down the hallway before loudly walking back towards the class. Lex could question Delilah later, but she didn't want them to panic. Delilah's happiness was more important to her than the fact it was their anatomy teacher making her happy.

They walked into class together, taking their seats and pretending like they had seen nothing. Pretending and lying had all too quickly worked their way into their lives. Only a few more days until they were free to spill their guts.

The rest of the day dragged on in nervous anticipation, Lex mentally preparing her lecture for Delilah. The day ended and Delilah drove off quickly after school, heading back to her house.

Lex and Sylver left soon after, placing their helmets on before Lex took off. Sylver clutched her tightly and Lex smiled under her helmet. The ride home was quick, less than twenty minutes, and instead of stopping at their house, they continued on to Delilahs.

After knocking on the door and being let in, Sylver sat at a bar stool by the kitchen, feeling slightly awkward. Lex tossed him her wallet and told him to order a pizza before dragging Delilah upstairs.

Delilah flopped down onto a large blue beanbag chair, Lex sitting in the opposing pink chair. "You know you shouldn't kiss your teacher with the door open, right?"

Delilah nearly fell out of her chair, and impressive feat considering the fact that it was a beanbag chair. Her face was red and she held a hand over her mouth.

"Uh..." she squeaked. "I have no clue what you're talking about."

"I saw you Delilah, and even then, you're a really shitty liar, at least when it comes to me."

"I can exp-" she tried to defend herself, standing up quickly. Lex just smiled and laughed. "Del, you should know by now, I don't give a shit what it is, as long as it won't hurt you, and makes you happy, I support it. I'm not going to tell."

Delilah sat down, visibly relaxing. Lex smirked before speaking again, a wicked undertone in her voice. "I won't tell, as long as you go with Sylver and I to Carsons party this Friday."

She frowned, glaring at Lex. She knew when she was beat. But she also knew Lex was joking, Delilah would have gone to the party either way. Somebody had to be the designated driver.

The days flew by, and before they new it, it was Friday. The girls were over at Delilahs house, getting ready. Delilah had informed Lex that Carson knew about her and his older brother, Max. Which is why he showed such interest in her.

   Lex had found a dress fairly quickly, a short, tight and low cut black velvet number paired with purple converse and purple lipstick. Delilah had tried on seven dresses so far, none of them seeming to work for her. She moved from her closet to her dresser, pulling on a pair of black fishnets and a short black skirt. She put on an olive green v-neck tee shirt and a tight black vest.

   Lex stared at her, the extra forty-five minutes had paid off. Max would go crazy for her in that outfit. Sylver knocked on the front door and the girls walked down stairs, smiling and fist bumping in congratulations half way down.