Monster

Everything felt fuzzy, like her head was stuck in an ever thickening fog that made it impossible to thing clearly. Maya looked around, seeing nothing that looked familiar about her surroundings. She couldn't remember where she was or how she got there. Despite having no recollection of the place, her feet moved forward and took her down an unfamiliar path.

The floor creaked as weight was put on the aged boards, tattered tarps covered the windows to offer what little protection it could against the howling wind outside. A few pieces of mismatched furniture were placed haphazardly around the room. It was a place that gave Maya the creeps, why was she here? It was even more disconcerting because she had never seen a place like this rundown building in Beacon Hills, which could only mean that she wasn't in her town anymore.

Feeling like she was being watched, Maya whipped around and let her eyes frantically search the room. There was no place to hide, yet that didn't mean that she could shake the feeling she wasn't alone. Her heartbeat was pounding in her ears as Maya frantically backed out of the door next to here, letting the corridor lead her far away.

Footsteps echoed louder than her own, making the teen run down the hall and throw herself into the first unlocked room she found. Maya pressed her back against the door, sliding down to the floor with a hand over her mouth to attempted to quiet her breathing.

"Maya, are you in there?" It wasn't a voice she recognized, it sounded demonic and sinister. As if the devil himself was waiting for her on the other side of the door. She jumped when the door was struck, the wooden surface shaking with each blow. "Let me in Maya, LET ME IN!"

Sobbing and scared, Maya scrambled to get up and stand on her trembling legs. There were no windows, there no other way to get out besides the door she had come in. Her fingers threaded through her hair in frustration and tugged at the brown locks as she tried to think of something, anyway to defend herself from whatever monster was forcing its way inside.

There was a surge of hope in her heart when Maya saw the rusting metal box pushed up against the wall next the old, rotting bed frame. The lid lifted up with loud groans of protest, revealing an odd assortment of items whoever used to sleep in the room had left behind. Her hands tore into the pile, rifling through the junk in search of a weapon. And as if some angel had decided to answer Maya's prayers, lying under some old newspapers was a gun. She didn't question the fact that a weapon miraculously appeared in her time of need, she just held it tightly and tried to quell the trembling of her hands.

The door collapsed to the ground, a man with startling red eyes stepping over the wreckage. Maya's breath caught in her throat when she saw the color, snippets of memories hitting her. "Stay away from me Peter." The gun was pointed at his chest, Maya's shaking finger on the trigger.

He didn't stop, still walking closer to her in an eerily calm manner. "What are you going to do Maya, shoot me?" A few more steps and Peter was standing in front of her, the barrel of the gun pressed into his chest. "Shoot the big bad werewolf?" Peter taunted her, flashing her a sinister smile with his pointed teeth.

"Get away from me." Maya wished she sounded more powerful, that her words had more confidence. Because all she heard was a scared little girl talking. There were tears welling up in her eyes and Maya tried to blink them away, she didn't want Peter to have the satisfaction of seeing how terrified she was.

"Come on Maya, shoot me." His face began to morph, revealing the monster pretending to be a man. "SHOOT ME!"

When she saw the claws raised to strike her, everything happened so fast. Her finger tightened on the trigger on reflex and a bullet shot out of the chamber. It took a few moments for Maya to open her eyes to see what she had done and what she saw wasn't what she had expected. Instead of seeing grisly sight of Peter Hale bleeding on the floor, it was a familiar set of blue eyes staring at her with shock and betrayal burning in them.

"Jackson?" She dropped to her knees frantically, pulling his head onto her lap. Her hands cradled his face as she looked down at him. "Oh god, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"But you did mean to Maya," Jackson stared up at her coldly, blood spilling from his lips as he spoke "you pulled the trigger and shot me. I'm going to die and it's all your fault Maya." She sobbed and her tears fell down onto his paling face. Blood was soaking into her jeans as she sat with Jackson on the floor and tried to stop the bleeding. But it just wouldn't stop, her hands were coated in Jackson's blood.

His head lolled back, eyes glassed over and blood pooled around his cold body. Jackson was dead and Maya had been the one to kill him. Her bloodied hands scrubbed against her jeans in an attempt to get Jackson's blood to disappear from her skin. It was all to much for the Williams to handle and she just needed to get out of the room that felt like it was closing in on her.

Stumbling and tripping over her own feet, Maya rushed away from the body of the boy who stole her heart. She could feel the bile rising in her throat the second she was in the hallway. Her entire body shook as she heaved up the contents of her stomach onto the floor. Hands grabbed her hair, holding it back from her face as Maya continued to puke.

"Are you disgusted with yourself Maya?" Stiles voice mocked her over the noise of her vomiting "Does seeing what you're capable of make you sick?"

Maya whipped her mouth off on the back of her hand and turned around to face the Stilinski. "I didn't mean to, it was an accident."

Stiles just smirked at her, an expression that looked evil in comparison to the normal goofy grins the Stilinski always gave her. He glanced to the right, nodding his head for Maya to follow his gaze. Scott and Allison were standing there staring at Maya with malice in their eyes.

"It wasn't an accident Maya-" Scott spoke softly, a deadly tone in his voice.

"You wanted to do it." Allison finished for him, bending down to Maya's level. The Argent smiled darkly at the girl in front of her. "You wanted to kill him, you want to kill all of us." Her pale hand reached out and tucked a strand of hair behind Maya's ear. The deadly glint was still present in Allison's eyes as she leaned in closer. "Do you want to know why you wanted to do it?"

Stiles didn't wait for her to answer, "It's because you're a monster Maya." Blood started to ooze out of his mouth, making red liquid splatter against Maya's face as he talked.

Her eyes frantically looked over at Scott and Allison, bright scarlet splotches staining their shirts as they moved to stand next to Stiles. Her three friends stood in front of her, looking at Maya with lifeless eyes as their blood continued to rapidly stain their skin and clothes. "You killed us Maya, you killed all of us." They chanted repeatedly, antagonizing Maya.

She sunk to the floor, tears falling from her eyes as she listened to their words being repeated over and over again. "It wasn't my fault, I didn't hurt any of you. Why are you doing this to me?" But her words fell on deaf ears as her bloodied friends continued to mumble their blame through red-stained lips. Maya pressed her hands to her ears when she heard three loud thuds, her eyes squeezed shut tightly to avoid looking at the horrific sight she knew lay before her.

"Open your eyes Maya, look at what you did. Look at it." A voice goaded her, enticing her brown eyes to hesitantly flutter open and see the expanding pool of red spreading towards her. "What do you see child? Tell me what you see." The voice commanded and once again Maya felt compelled to listen.

Getting on her knees, Maya bent over the puddle of blood and stared at her reflection. What was looking back at her made Maya gasp. Choking back a sob, Maya raised a trembling hand to the abomination gazing back at her from the crimson pool. "I see a monster."

........................

So this is officially and sadly the last chapter of Monster. But fear not, there is a sequel in the works because this is no were close to being the end of Maya's story! Honestly, I am super pumped to start the second book because I've got so much planned for the next season. I'm curious as to what you lovely readers think will be happening with Maya in the next book, so comment your thoughts!