Chapter 19

Jonathan's P.O.V. 

'It's not over,"  I typed. 

Sent.

Leaning back in my office chair, I wondered what he was doing right now. Throwing her a party? Giving her presents? I know that he's not doing one thing, and that's being responsible.

 If he really knew what he was doing, then he would have known that Jessica never completed the eighth grade, on account of her failing to attend summer school. 

The teachers at the summer-enrichment program said that they let her have one day off, not the summer. They said she really wanted to go to a concert, and she completed her work in advance. They were also very upset when the Amber Alert was put out. 

"I bet she didn't know about that" I muttered, looking at the pinned-up newspaper article. 'MISSING CALIFORNIA TEEN' headlined for about two months, with a pixelated selfie making the front page. The quality was bad, but the teen was unmistakable. Jessica.

See, Chris was clever. He never got the paper delivered to his house, and he never had the news on the TV. He hardly let her leave the house. 

But when I showed up that one day, she seemed to have a free will. She walked around the house, doing what she wanted. The doors were always unlocked in the house, leaving me access whenever I wanted. 

Her actions were similar to a one in a mental facility. She doesn't seem to have a natural sense of curiosity, instead doing trivial tasks until Chris comes back. She seems like she's broken, but doesn't know it yet. What kind of sick game is Chris playing with that girl? 

"Mr. Williams, your 11:30 appointment is ready," my secretary says through the door. "One moment," I reply, pulling back the screen that contains all of the evidence of the potential Brown vs. Williams case. I stir the cream in my coffee and see his house across the street. 

"Bring 'em in."