Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Chris's P.O.V.

I don't understand Jess right now. She's laughing, smiling, and having a good time, but she doesn't seem happy. I wonder what's worrying her right now.

I'll just ask when we get home. No, I'll ask tomorrow. I don't want to ruin her 'birthday surprise'.

Jessica's P.O.V.

I really like all the effort that Chris is making so that I have a happy birthday, so I pretend to laugh. Sometimes I look around when no one is looking, trying to see if I can find a newspaper of a missing girl. The headline that Casey gave me was dated two weeks ago.

Jermaine's P.O.V.

Jessica was in the front seat of Chris' SUV. She never left his house before. I followed him, 2 cars behind, until he goes into a restaurant. I slide in a both across the restaurant so they won't see me in the reflection of a window.

Jessica's P.O.V.

I ate 2 ice cream sundaes before my meal. "I gotta go to the bathroom," I announce, making a shooing motion at Casey.

"Want me to come with?"

"Nah," I deflected. "Keep an eye on these clowns," I give everyone the stink eye before grabbing my purse.

"You're appetite is ruined!" Mijo laughs.

"I don't know, Jessica seems to have a bottomless pit for a stomach." Chris joins.

"Okay, forget you guys," I say, turning from the table. The bathroom was in a separate corner of the restaurant. It was by the st

aff-only part of the restaurant, with a bulletin of happenings in the city. I checked over my shoulder, once, twice. Quickly, (and quietly) I jumped in and closed the door. I cracked a smile. How James Bond of me.

"Don't scream," a voice abrupts. I didn't scream, by I sure as heck jumped.

"Who are you I asked?" Looking around the room wildly.

"You know who I am," the figure said, stepping into the light. I gasped. "Why are you here?" I whisper shouted. "You're not my guardian!"

Jermaine's P.O.V.

"Your name is Jessica," I say calmly.

"What? That has nothing to do with the conversation," She starts to get irritated.

"Oh. I thought we were just stating the obvious." I say flippantly. "Besides, this is one of the few restaurants in this area that isn't crowded by tourists."

"You can't be here," she insists.

"Actually, I can. This is a public establishment for all people. I'm not loitering, as I have paid for my food." I inform, lifting up my to-go plates.

Jessica's P.O.V.

This guy has to be a lawyer or teacher or somethin' for him to be all technical. I choose my next question carefully. "Why are you following me?"I ask, tentatively.

"You're in danger," he answers somewhat urgently.

"W-What kind of danger?" I whisper, the level of urgency in my tone matching his.

"You see-" he started.

"Jessica? Are you okay?" Chris shouts at the bathroom door. He runs his hands through his attempted waves (a whole bunch of bedebees) and turns around. He caught me eye. "Hey!" he shouts, pushing the door open. Oh boy.