Chapter One

On a cloudy, slightly gloomy day, as I was walking down the crowded streets of Los Angeles, my sunglasses almost too dark for the type of day it was, I ran into a tall man. His hair was on the longer side, just down to the nape of his neck, he wore a brown leather jacket and duly faded jeans. His eyes, a deep hazel, were also shaded by sunglasses. We had almost collided with each other as we had come around the same corner in opposite directions.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he apologized, picking up the paper I had dropped as I tossed my hands in the air to brace myself.

"This is as much my fault," I half-heartedly laughed.

"You're from the Phoenix Foundation too?" he asks, seeing the envelope in my other hand.

"Well, almost, I'm trying to make my way to where I'm to meet Peter..." I stop to look at the top of the paper that the man had picked up for me.

"Pete, just call him Pete. He hates Peter," he smiled.

I looked up at him and smiled back. I extended a hand out to him in a friendly way.

"I'm Fynlee," I introduced myself.

"Names MacGyver," he replied, taking my hand and giving it a nice shake.

"Nice to meet you MacGyver, looks like we have a lot in common already," I said.

"What do you mean by that?" he chuckled.

"We've only just met and already we know we both work for Phoenix, we both have different names, and we both like faded jeans," I told him, slightly sarcastically.

"Well, I suppose we have to be friends then," he smiled again.

This time I noticed deep smile lines on each side of his mouth.

"Why don't you show me where I'm supposed to be heading, then maybe we can get together and have lunch or something?" I suggested.

"That sounds like a good plan," he nodded.

I showed him the address that I was supposed to go to and he walked me right there, it only took about five minutes. On the way there we got to know each other better, MacGyver told me that he is a field operative for the Phoenix Foundation, he has been for many years. I told him what I am doing at the Phoenix Foundation, I am the newest addition to their field operatives, another thing we happen to have in common.

"Well, here you go, good luck," MacGyver smiled once again as we come to the address that I'm supposed to meet Pete Thornton at.

"How about this afternoon?" I suggested.

"For lunch, I'll pay?"

"Maybe so, say eleven-thirty?"

"Where?"

"I'm not particular," I smiled, walking in the door and disappearing.

I met with Pete, using 'Mr. Thornton' and then 'Pete' as MacGyver had suggested for me. He had given me a smile when I said it. Everyone was so friendly around here.

After the meeting, which had gone very well, I started to wander around the streets of Los Angeles. The beautiful city surrounded me with the shadows of the buildings, the smell of the salty ocean, and the sounds of a busy city. As I stood by a little shop a classy old 1946 Chevy Pickup pulls up to me.

"Hey, ready for lunch?" MacGyver asked me through the open window.

"Who do you think you are?" I laughed, walking around to the other side and getting in.