Chapter Three

"Mac, what exactly are you saying?" I asked him.

"I'm asking if we could maybe..." He trailed off and looked down, his arm taking all of his weight as he leant against the door.

"You'd like to take it a little further already?" I suggested.

He sighed heavily and shifted uncomfortably. "I suppose so."

"Why don't you ask me and find out," I told him.

MacGyver brought my hand up to his lips and gently kissed the back of my hand.

"Would you like to be my girlfriend?" He asked.

"Well, what exactly does that mean?"

"It means that I won't see any other girls, you won't see any other guys, we'll have dinner together, go for walks, go out on dates. And it means that I will be treating you the way you should be treated," MacGyver told me assuredly.

"I would love to MacGyver," I responded.

His smile dug into my heart and tore off the armour that had been there for so long. I never realised until that very moment how guarded I had been. I reached my hand up and touched his cheek. His skin was soft but well-worn like he never stayed inside very long.

"I should get going, Pete will be wondering where I got off too," he reluctantly told me.

I moved aside to let him out and he opened the door. I watched him take a step onto the front porch then stop and turn around.

"I never really move this fast, I hope you don't think-"

"It's alright, I've never done anything like this before either," I stopped him.

He smiled once again and finally turned around and left. I closed the door behind him and then collapsed onto the couch. What the heck am I doing? I can't do this to myself again! Why did I have to fall for him? Ugh! I picked myself back up and walked to my bedroom. I opened my closet and started to rummage through boxes and binders and books and suitcases and all kinds of memories, good and bad. I finally got to the worst memories that ever entered into my mind. Could I trust MacGyver with these? What crossed my mind was a beautiful little story. MacGyver and I go out to the beach and I burn all of these terrible things. I could only do this with him if he was actually my one. The one. Or at least the one to take me out of my great recession.

I took out the box full of old pictures and letters and paper and things and set it on the nightstand. I needed to destroy all of these things but it needed to be with someone. It could not be Xena or a friend, it had to be a person like MacGyver.

The next morning I woke up to the shrill scream of my telephone. I stumbled out of bed, my eyes still half closed, and clambered over to the table where it sat.

"Hello?" I mumbled into the mouthpiece.

"Fynlee?" it was Mac's voice, dark and comforting.

"Good morning MacGyver," I sighed, less annoyed and more awake.

"Did I wake you?" he asked.

"Yeah, but it's ok, I was going to get up in about 5 minutes anyways," I told him as I looked at the clock, it was indeed about 5 minutes until my alarm would sound.

"I'm sorry, I was just wondering if you'd like to go get breakfast before work if you're even going this morning," he offered.

"Oh yeah, I have some paperwork to fill out and a tour of the building today," I responded, twirling the cord on the phone.