CH 4: "Breathe In, Breathe Out"

I've got every reason to find someone new
Cause you swore up and down to me
I've seen the last of you
But the way you loved me
Left me hopin and holdin on
So until this world stops turning round
And my heart believes you're gone

I'll breathe in and breathe out
Put one foot in front of the other
Take one day at a time
Till you find
I'm that someone you can't live without
But until then
I'll breathe in and breathe out

- I Breathe In, I Breathe Out, DAVID KERSH

______________________________________

"We'll start with basic self-defense moves that anyone can do," Link said. "Then I'll show you a few advanced techniques just for good measure."

Joey nodded. "Okay."

"Here." Link stepped forward and removed Joey's jacket. "During practice, we need a range of motion. Don't want you hindered." He tossed the jacket to the edge of the mat. "After you've mastered the techniques, we'll practice with more constricting clothing, so you'll be prepared no matter what."

Link still wore the undershirt from earlier, exposing his nicely developed biceps and strong neck and shoulders. Joey had to force himself to focus on Link's words when all he really wanted the man to do was take him down to the mat and fuck him senseless.

"When you're in a confrontation, you only have a few seconds and a few moves to try before an attacker gains full control of you. You have to do everything you can to inflict injury so you can get away." Link motioned to various parts of his body as he spoke. "So aim for the areas where you can do the most damage easily: the eyes, nose, ears, neck, groin, knee, and legs."

"Okay."

Link positioned himself in front of Joey. "It might sound like a sissy move, but eye gouging can be fucking effective. Plus, it impairs your assailant's vision—not to mention it fucking hurts." He smiled. "Pain plus temporary blindness is a great combo. Like this." He grabbed Joey's arm with one hand and simulated jabbing two fingers into his eye. Joey flinched, and Link chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you." His hand felt hot as he gripped Joey's upper arm and Joey couldn't stop himself from imagining that hot hand wrapped tightly around his hard member. His cock throbbed, and he tried to deflect the thoughts and images, but they remained steadfast in his head, generating down into his body. "Gouging, poking, scratching—all's fair when your life is on the line." Link stepped back, releasing Joey's arm. "Now, your turn. What I just showed you, do it to me."

Swallowing nervously, Joey nodded. "Like this?" He went for the eye-jab and was suddenly blocked as Link skillfully grabbed his wrist and spun Joey around, pinning his arms to his sides, his back against Link's chest.

Link grinned against his ear, his warm breath trickling down Joey's neck. "I couldn't resist," he laughed softly. "By the way, I'll show you how to do that as well."

Joey subconsciously pressed his ass into Link's crotch, but before he could determine if the guy was at all hard, Link released him and had him execute the move again—this time without deflecting his hand.

"That was good," Link said. "Now a couple more times."

In just three to four attempts, his execution of the maneuver was precise and controlled, his nervousness evaporating.

"All right," Link grinned. "You may just be a natural. We will continue and find out."

His light praise caused a warm elation inside Joey and made him want to master every technique—if only to please Link. He was playing with fire, he understood this, but Link was trying to help him, and Joey needed the help. The elation was reminiscent of what he had experienced when he'd first met Doug. Even the tiniest accomplishment on Joey's part was met with praise from Doug. Maybe it was dangerous to let himself feel it again with Link, but when he considered recoiling from it—Link drew him back in with more applause.