CH 10: "Walking Away"

"I'll be your cloud up in the sky
I'll be your shoulder when you cry
I'll hear your voice when you call me
I am your angel
And when all hope is gone, I'm here
No matter how far you are, I'm near
It makes no difference who you are
I am your angel."

— I'm Your Angel, CELINE DION

It was nearly noon before Joey felt fully functional again. He'd slept for a solid hour and a half and awoke to an empty bed. A light, warm breeze sifted through the window that had been opened a few inches, gently rustling the thin curtains. Joey stared up at the ceiling as the summer breeze wafted across his bare torso. Voices drifted down the hall and through the open bedroom door, followed by soft, casual laughter.

It feels like home.

He closed his eyes to the tormenting thought; he had no home. Link and Troy were enjoying him at the moment, but how long till they decided they wanted their life back, just to themselves? Joey wasn't a part of this. He was simply a guest. And when guests lingered too long, they were in danger of overstaying their welcome. Maybe it would be days, or even weeks before the two men insisted he move on and out of their lives, but the day would come, and Joey didn't want to be here when it arrived. If he were, then the few good memories he'd created with Link and Troy would be destroyed.

Joey left the bed and went to the shower. Doug hadn't even left him his suitcase when he decided to abandon Joey in the middle of nowhere. His only clothes were the ones he was wearing when he took to the road. When he returned to the bedroom, a towel wrapped around his waist, he found those clothes freshly washed, folded, and laid across the foot of the bed waiting for him. That simple act of thoughtfulness caused an unexpected well of emotion, and he struggled against his tears as he dressed.

"The dead has risen," Troy smiled when Joey entered the kitchen.

Link laughed and stepped over to Joey, lifting his face. He kissed him deeply. "So, how are you feeling?"

"Better." Joey gazed into his eyes and felt like he was looking at a lifelong friend. Link had never truly felt like a stranger to him. Nor Troy. And Owen...once buried inside Owen's powerful arms, Joey had experienced a comfort and security that couldn't be gained from a stranger. Yet he knew none of these men. He didn't understand the sense of companionship—even Brotherhood—they instilled in him.

"I'm glad," Link murmured and brushed another soft kiss on his lips. "And I'm glad we could help."

Joey smiled and hugged Link, his arms squeezing the man's body. "You did, a lot."

"Maybe..." Link drew back and smiled at Joey, "...God isn't as much of an asshole as you think." He stroked his thumbs down Joey's cheeks. "Maybe he knew you were going to need some friends along the way and allowed us to meet. Not just us, but you and your friend Owen, too. Maybe?"

If God cared so much, then why did he take Doug away in the first place? Tears formed and Joey looked away. He shrugged. "Maybe," he mumbled. "But I still don't like him very much."

"That's okay," Troy said softly. "God understands."

Joey stared at him, eyes swimming, but said nothing. He didn't care if God understood or not.

"Do you want to stay with us a while?" Troy reached out and took Joey's hand, bringing it to his lips.

"Yes," Joey whispered, his throat knotting.

Link gazed at him for a long moment. "Are you going to stay?"

Shaking his head slowly, Joey's tears thickened. "No." He withdrew from Troy's touch and wiped his eyes. "I can't."