Chapter XXXI

"Tonight we are still friends," I signaled for Martha to come out of the drawing room and out into the hall before anyone caught me alone and it took a while for her to come

"For now yes, but you see the people I am friends with every single one of them accept you without any reservations." Joseph talked as I waited for Martha to grab Cynthia and come to my rescue.

"Is this why you called me to dinner Joseph?"

"I need you to know you will not be treated as an inferior when we are together."

"Joseph, it is not my importance at stake here, I have no such vanities" I looked in his kind green eyes.

"Then what are we to do since I also have no such vanities? We should only be glad that what ever others say of us will be of no hindrance," he smiled then came midpoint to a kiss.

"Joseph no," I backed away in a rush before he got to my lips.

"Where are you going?"

"Back where I should be so should you," I said as the girls reached the doorway. "And do not attempt this again I have not changed my mind," the ladies came out seeing a glimpse of Joseph go in the other room.

"Was that Lord Stanley?" Cynthia noticed the near death of my principles.

"Yes, he wanted to talk but I told him to go," I told them.

"Wait what if he wanted to ask you something important?" Martha jumped to conclusions, "what if he was going to propose?"

"He was not going to ask such a thing so inappropriately, he is not that kind of gentleman."

"How would you know?"

"Because it is easy to see who he is and we are merely good friends," I defended it.

"I would say it is a pity but if you two are not fond of each other than the better it is for Cynthia and I," Martha shrugged her shoulders latching onto me.

"Martha," Cynthia criticized her but Martha did not care.

"But if an eligible young man ever wants to talk to me in private I expect you two will make it happen."

Martha wished to get married and so did her family, or at least she wanted to fall in love sooner than later, later though was not a word that suited her anymore.

"If your mother heard you," I giggled.

"But Martha is right, if we are each other's keeper then nothing can go wrong." Cynthia agreed to the understanding and I was glad they were not harsh judges as the rest of society.

"Come girls the gentlemen will join us for a while," Lady Thomas said desperately wanting to keep us close to the bachelors.

"Coming mama," Cynthia said.