The Letter

Dear Mr

Dear Mr. Howard,

In confession today...

"No," I crumbled up the paper.

Dear Earl of Bridgeston,

"No," I crumbled up the sixth paper and threw it on the floor and began again until it was nowhere near perfect but still the best attempt.

Dear Mr. Howard,

Understanding how unusual the receiving of this letter may be to you I write it under the orders of my conscience and a man ordained by God to counsel common people as myself. As you previously stated you could no longer maintain a friendship with me I will not ask you for it but what I do ask may be of equal greatness; forgiveness.

Mr. Howard I repent from what I believed for so long were your weaknesses, lies and deceit, I confused these with your serious humor and hidden demeanor. You told no lies but you were not straightforward, you did not deceive yet you kept your plans and your innocence in the matter of Lydia to yourself; forgive me. Forgive me for portraying the worse part of me unto you it was for revenge of your rejection I behaved so irrationally. Now I wholeheartedly regret everything I have done which injured you or anyone you may love. At the time I did not believe anything was intentionally wrong but it was wrong in the end and I damaged what could have been a lifelong friendship.

If any part of you believes I am redeemable, that I may still learn from my silliness and become a better woman through your forgiveness then please grant me the honor to someday be who I suspect you might have hoped I was. With all I am, with all I believe to be holy I ask you Mr. Howard that we may speak face to face about my shortcomings and make our amends as soon as it fits you, and if you do not accept my forgiveness I will understand your position for I proved myself the same as Lydia, though I do not conscientiously believe we are alike, had you met me in under different circumstances.

Sincerely,
Miss Alice Stewart.

*************************
No part, character, names, plot, setting, conflict or resolution, point of view, theme or symbolism of this story may be replicated.

Copyright: All Rights Reserved to A. Sena Gomes.