Chapter XCV

The story was rather long and we had tea while Edna and I both went through the story and then I even told of Lady's Walker threat and Sir Holloway's speedy return of mother back to the house

"You have a great debt to Sir Holloway's generosity right?"

"Yes we do, he has been an honorable man."

"Do I detect other motives for his help?"

"Yes but like I said he would never force me into anything I did not wish myself, or so he has tried to make it clear."

"I do not feel right about leaving you so vulnerable and exposed to influences from outsiders on your future my dear."

"Well surely you do not have to, when did you arrive?"

"I arrived earlier today the family came to a house near here for a funeral so I tried to come pay a visit when I saw my sister walking around for some fresh air like the ghost of winter in the middle of summer."

"Forgive me aunt..."

"There is not much you could have done under the circumstances so what about your mother? She is back and what will you do? I have to go back to my work tomorrow the family will not do without me for much longer."

"Well why do you have to go back? Would you not feel that for our sake you should come live with us? I know you have refused it before but would you consider it one more time please aunt?"

"It won't do, I am only a housekeeper, the Stewart name would be better left off without me and at my work I can be very proud of my position."

"Well you would still be working here, taking care of mother is not an easy job but you were a calming presence to her."

"All I did was read one of her favorite verses growing up and that did it," she talked about the Bible since my mother was a devoted woman.

"Then would you consider staying here? We have more than enough to share, unless you would rather a paid position but if you did then you know we could not call you aunt we'd be prohibited to disclose our family ties and do you not think it would be harder on us?"

"Yes but my dear niece you..."

"Please stay here, rejoin our family, do you not see how mother needs your company and her family?"

"I..." Her eyes hid away for a moment, "I have never known you to insist on anything and if it this important then I guess I shall stay for my sister."

"Thank you aunt, I am deeply grateful and mother will be so happy," I hugged her though she was not woman of emotions, the opposite of my mother, and the embrace was even a little awkward but worth it.

"Alright then I will leave today to talk to my employers and I will be back as soon as they let me come back," she turned away to dry her face with her little piece of cloth.