Chapter One: April's Fool

Notes:

- In Episode 110 ("Die but Once"), Lucious is told that Malcolm put in for a "long weekend". In the United States, that would fall on a Thursday and end on a Sunday. Hence, the reference to Cookie having spent four days with Malcolm, not three.

- As the season two Empire mid-season finale ended in May 2016, Bella's birth date is being used on that day. The story opens in April 2017, making Bella just shy of a year old.

- "You practically carried me home, old man." As of April 2017, Terrence Howard is 48, Taraji P. Henson is 46 and Derek Luke is 43.

___

During the week of Easter, Lucious Lyon left his wife Anika in New York City and flew to Jamaica to be with his one true love, who conveniently left her fiancée Angelo in New York as well. Between marathon sex sessions, Lucious and Cookie spent most of their time fighting, demanding that the other leave his or her significant other for good. Lucious refused to divorce Anika until Cookie called it off with Angelo, while Cookie refused to call it off with Angelo until Lucious produced divorce papers. Meanwhile, Cookie's wedding date was drawing nearer and nearer, and both ex-husband and ex-wife were miserable.

"You don't even love him!" Lucious shouted, as he had over and over again. "You're just trying to be what your father wanted you to be!"

"You don't love her!" Cookie screamed, hurling whatever was nearby at Lucious's head. "Why don't you divorce her since you love me so much, huh? Why don't you divorce that bougie bitch!?"

It was the same circular argument. Lucious had to keep up appearances, even though the FBI case against him had been dropped months ago. Then there was Bella to think about, or so Lucious claimed. "She would never just take off!" Cookie insisted. "Anika would never take Bella from us!"

"She's done it before!" Lucious fired back. "She would do whatever it takes to hurt this family!"

"She is family, stupid! She's our granddaughter's mother! And she's your wife. Anika Lyon. You did that, remember? You did that!"

"I never loved her! I love you, Cookie! You're the only woman I ever truly loved..."

They would shout at each other, and Cookie would cry, and Lucious would comfort her and turn her tears into sweat and her screams of pain into cries of pleasure. And then they would do it all over again, and again, and again.

It was sick and twisted and unfair to everybody involved. Angelo was a good man. A loyal man. A man who had stood by Cookie when any other public figure would've avoided her like the plague. Angelo was a man who, in just three weeks, would make Cookie the First Lady of New York City. He deserved so much better than what Cookie could ever give him, yet Cookie couldn't find it in her heart to let Angelo go. She loved him. She truly did.

As for Anika - the ghost who haunted the halls of the Lyon House of Horrors, rarely to seen or heard from by anyone - the shameful truth was that Anika was a non-factor in Lucious and Cookie's relationship, wife or no wife

As for Anika - the ghost who haunted the halls of the Lyon House of Horrors, rarely to seen or heard from by anyone - the shameful truth was that Anika was a non-factor in Lucious and Cookie's relationship, wife or no wife. The first time Lucious and Cookie went on vacation together was Valentine's Day. Cookie paid Anika the respect of telling her that they were going to the Bahamas before she heard it from somebody else, only to learn that Hakeem had already told her. "Best Valentine's date he could give me," Anika replied when she recovered from her shock. "Have fun, Cookie." This last time, Cookie didn't even bother. She knew Anika didn't care.