Chapter Four: For Auld Lang Syne, My Dear

Anika wasn't surprised when she saw Lucious standing at the door of the nursery when she came out of her bedroom, Bella's diaper bag packed up for Cookie. "So you came yourself," Anika commented. "I thought you would've sent Cookie to talk me out of this."

"You look nice," Lucious commented pleasantly. "Going somewhere?"

"You know where I'm going, Lucious," Anika was in no mood for any of Lucious's games. "You know where I'm going and you know who I'm going with."

"I do?" Lucious leaned against the doorjamb. "Humor me. Where are you going?"

Here we go. "I am going to the film festival with Malcolm at the Lincoln Center," Anika said slowly. "We will probably get something to eat after that. I should be home around midnight...unless Malcolm spends the night with me in the guest house tonight."

Lucious pretended to be confused. "I don't remember approving any of this, Anika."

"That's because I didn't ask you." Anika busied herself checking and double checking Bella's bag. Diapers, bibs, onesies, toys, books...one would think Anika was packing up Bella's things to go live with Cookie permanently.

"Don't you think it's kind of a bad look, having you out in public with another man?" Lucious asked, pretending to sound concerned about the respectability of the Lyon name.

"No worse than all the women you parade around with. And who's going to recognize me, Lucious?" While Lucious could be seen gallivanting all over the place with other women, Mrs. Lucious Lyon better not be seen with another man, ever. With a reddish-blonde wig and the most casual, nondescript clothes Anika could find - old jeans, plain sweater, sneakers and just a little lip gloss - Anika wouldn't attract any attention to herself.

"I still don't think it's a good idea. Can't you and Malcolm rent a few flicks?" Lucious suggested helpfully. "I'll even spring for the snacks."

"No, thank you," Anika brushed past Lucious to make her way into her kitchen. Lucious followed Anika. "How come you didn't invite me?" he asked in a half-mocking tone. "I'm hurt."

"It's in French," Anika said tersely. "Look, what's your problem with Malcolm? Like he said, this was what you wanted anyway."

"I don't have any problems with Malcolm," Lucious denied. "I have a problem with my wife going out in public with another man."

"Or maybe you don't like that Malcolm is a man who is kind to me," Anika shot back. "Or that he's trustworthy and honest-"

"Honest?" Lucious whooped. "Really, Anika? The first time Malcolm hit it was on Valentine's Day?"

"Well..." Anika faltered. "Mostly honest. That's way more than what can be said about you." Anika reached into the refrigerator and took out bottles of breast milk and a few of Bella's favorite snacks. "Lucious, I've done everything you've asked of me. Why can't I even go to a goddamned film festival without you bitching about it?"

"You can go to the festival," Lucious said magnanimously. "But if you think I'm going to let you out that door to go out on a date with Malcolm, you don't know me very well."

"I'm going, Lucious." Anika slung Bella's baby bag over her shoulder. "Will you move?" she asked when Lucious blocked Anika's way. "You're in my way. Malcolm will be here any minute." She tried to walk past Lucious, but he blocked her way again. "Good girl," he smiled when Anika stepped away from the kitchen door, defeated. "Now, call Malcolm and tell him that you don't feel good-"

In a flash, Anika pulled a butcher knife out of a small drawer. Lucious jumped back as Anika walked towards Lucious, the knife aimed straight for his groin. "Let's get something straight here," Anika said, gripping the knife tight in her hand. "I am leaving this house tonight. I might leave with Malcolm, or I might leave with the police, or I might leave in a body bag. But I am walking out that front door, Lucious. You will not hold me hostage here."