Meeting Mad-Eye

'No!' Tonks cried softly.

Remus pulled her tighter into his chest. He rested his chin on top of her head as they both fought tears.

'H-how?' Tonks asked, her voice choked with tears. She lifted her head slightly.

Teddy couldn't answer. Albus replied, 'The Second War. Fighting, like Fred.'

'I was a month old,' Teddy whispered.

Wiping her eyes, Tonks reached out an arm towards her son. Teddy didn't hesitate in walking over and embracing his parents. Victoire squeezed her husband's hand as he left her.

Teddy, Ginny and Mrs Weasley were the only ones crying quietly now. Everybody else seemed beyond tears. It surprised Harry that Ginny was still crying – he realised he'd never seen her cry before, and perhaps assumed that she simply didn't cry. But she did, when it concerned her family. Harry hadn't known Fred, or any of her brothers, had meant so much to her. He was learning more about her in these few minutes than he had in four years.

'I must make it, don't I?' Sirius asked, trying to ease the tension in the room. Or that would be his excuse if anybody asked. He knew deep down he was really trying to get over the fact that his last best friend was going to die. It was his way of covering up the tears in his eyes, because he couldn't go and comfort Remus at the moment. He needed his family. 'The world just wouldn't be right without m-me.' His voice cracked on the last word, and Sirius inwardly cursed himself.

His heart skipped a beat when he didn't get an answer immediately. 'I – I do, don't I?' he tried again uncertainly. 'Of course I do – I have to be there for – for Harry.' The silence from the time travellers was as good as an answer. That, and the fact Lily couldn't take it anymore and broke down. James hugged his little sister tightly. She was only thirteen; this had to be worse for her than everyone else, especially as she was close to Teddy and it hurt her to see him cry so much.

Tears didn't even come to Sirius' eyes. His gaze was fixed on his godson, who looked shellshocked.

'Harry?' Sirius said tentatively.

Harry's head snapped to his godfather. Cold anger flashed through his green eyes. 'You can't die!' he shouted. 'You can't! This is – this is all my fault, you can't die, you're the only one I've got left!'

'Harry, don't,' Sirius pleaded quietly. 'I'm here now. I'm here.' Without another word, he strode over to his godson and pulled him into a firm hug. By the time they pulled apart, everybody else had somewhat recovered. The Weasleys sat in one corner of the room around Fred, Remus, Tonks and Teddy sat together, Harry stayed with Sirius, and the future children were in their group in the middle of the room, having been joined by Victoire.

'Well,' Sirius said eventually, his voice gruff but strong, 'we can't sit here and mope all day.'

'I'll make some tea,' Victoire volunteered, jumping up, her blonde hair swishing behind her. Rose suppressed a giggle. Fluent in French she may be, but if there was one thing Victoire had learnt from her English grandmother, it was that when in doubt, make tea.

'I'll help you,' Bill offered, following her out of the room.

'So… Teddy seems like a good guy,' Bill said, as Victoire filled up the kettle and flicked her wand to start heating it up.

'He is,' Victoire smiled, before her eyes narrowed. 'We're not having a conversation about if he's good enough for me in which you play the role of the over-protective father, if that's what you're aiming for. Remember you're technically only two years older than me right now.'

Bill held up his hands in surrender. 'OK, OK,' he grinned, happy to be able to talk with his daughter. He did, after all, need something to take his mind off Fred. 'At least tell me he asked for my permission to marry you.'