Chapter Two: Pie And More Pie

"Dad, I'm starving," My stomach agrees with a rumble.

"Ooooo, if y'all gonna eat I recommend Martha's Pie Shop" Becca leans over into the front seats. I try not to stare at her chest.

"Sorry, but I'm allergic to pie," I say " Gluten doesn't do me very well"

Becca makes a pouting face.

"Shucks! That's horrible! But I'm sure one of the bakers could whip up a gluten free one."

"Thank you but no thank you. I'm kinda in the mood for a burger."

"Now, we are talking." Dad agrees.

A silence lingers in the air before Becca starts laughing to the point of tears. Me and Dad exchange a look.

"Oh, That is just...the most...funniest thing I ever heard...burgers! Ha!" She gasps for breath slapping the seat.

I don't find anything funny so I just stare out the window at the shops we pass. Pie. Pie. Pie. Pie. Pie. Wait! Meat! No, meat pie.

"Is there something other than pie here," I ask tentatively afraid of the answer.

"Well..." Becca makes a show of tapping her chin and looking at the car roof.

"Here we are!" Dad pulls into a parking space in front of a store called  Debras Goods. I bet it's pie.

"No, no, no, no, no, no! You do not want to go in there!" Becca exclaims. Dad pauses.

"Why not?"

Becca rolls her eyes shaking her head. I do the same beginning to feel agitated.

"That crazy woman killed her husband and kids!"

Where have I not heard this? Next, you know she wants to get married to Dad and be the next Ms. Weather's.

"Okay, I'm going in." I say exiting the car. Becca smacks her lips doing the same.

"Your free to wait in the car if you want." Dad tells her.

"No, I'll go in and maybe say hey"

Wow, a sudden change. What is with this girl! Back in the city no one acted as...whats the word I'm looking for...nevermind I'm not gonna use it. I head into Debras Goods.

The thick smell of smoke forces me to cough when I enter. The air is cloudy with it. The source is a thin young woman with brown short hair and white pale skin.

"Sorry, I wasn't expecting customers" she flicks her cigarette over a ashtray " I never get customers "

"Oh" Dad nods examining the shevles

"So are y'all passing by or staying?"  The woman asks.

"Staying, I grew up here as a boy" Dad smiles

That sparks her attention.

"Really? Me, too" She says " But then the whole place just changed over night and suddenly everybody wants pie and..." Her eyes trail to Becca.

"Hey, Debra." Becca greets.

"Hey, Becca." Debra sighs " Glad to see you haven't resorted to those other freaks ways."

Becca frowns smiling " whatcha mean by that"

"Nothing."

I try not to eavesdrop as I browse the shevles but my ears get the best of me.

"You know you should really turn this into a pie shop." Becca advices.

"Don't we got enough Pie shops." Debra takes a long drag of her stick.

"Yeah, but Dortha said-"

"I don't care what that witch says! This is my store and it will remain mine. Not everybody wants a pie!." Debra spits.

Becca smirks turning to leave.

"I'll be in the car." She claims.

I pick up three bags of chips and two candy bars. Debra rings it up eyeing Dad.

"I don't like the look of your Dad." Debra states. Slightly offended, I ignore her comment.

"He grew up here but he doesn't see the change that happend? And how all the women wear the same dress and men with their button up shirts? Everybody has the same car!" Debra rings up the last candy bar " I just hope for the best. That the two of you survive."

My insides chill. I glance at dad who makes his way to the counter. Debra puts on a plastic smile.

"Welcome to Sweet Maple Pines and Enjoy your stay!"