Epilogue 3.18

---Crawford---

     Should be nothing feels as good as wiping the sweat off your brow after a long day's work. Nowadays I don't mind the work so much. It helps to keep the hands busy. Gives you something to think about. Something other than being a gutless coward who left a comrade to bleed out in agony.

     The sun vanishes behind the volcanic island. I lie down on the sand, and then the cold starts to sting and I scuttle back off the beach like a crab. Three crap-ass looking rafts rest on the beach, ready to take to the waters. It took all our combined efforts to assemble them from the maples growing nearby. Would've been damn near impossible without Melody's beam sword and Miu's superpowers.

     "Good hustle everyone," says Topher, sitting down atop one of the rafts. "We're just a paddle away from paradise."

     "Then let's get to it," says Ace, cracking his knuckles.

     Mya and I both let out exhausted groans. "Some of us don't have batteries shoved up our asses," I mutter. "Besides, if you think boating across the literal black sea while the sun's down is a good idea, you've got a couple screws loose."

     "Where's Em?" Martha asks, coming over to hand me a nutshell filled with sweet, sweet maple sap. A meagre reward for strenuous physical labour, but at least the government doesn't get to tax the hell out of it. I suck it back like a shot of liquor.

     "I saw him head into the woods with Melody and Colby a moment ago," says Gail, sitting over by the nearest maple tree with Eloise's head resting on her lap. It's like she forgot about the whole Eloise trying to kill us thing. "Whatever they have to discuss, it apparently doesn't concern us."

     I'd like to mention that from where I was sitting, i.e. within earshot, Colby pulled Em aside for a chat and Melody insisted on tagging along. I raise the nutshell to my lips for another shot of sugary tree nectar before remembering I already downed it all. Seriously, it isn't fair. Em gets Gail and he doesn't even have to work for it—some bored goddess decides to play matchmaker. Then Ace and Topher risk their necks with him trying to rescue Comma, and he gets all the credit as far as she's concerned. And now you're telling me this new chick who popped up out of nowhere also has the hots for him? You're killing me. He isn't even that good looking!

     "You okay?" Mya sits down next to me and gently places her hand on top of mine.

     I swallow a lump. "Beg pardon?"

     She glances around, as if to make sure no one else is listening in. "I just wanted to say that what happened to Edgar... it wasn't your fault. There's no need to go beating yourself up about it."

     Would she still think that if she knew the whole story? If she knew how he begged me for mercy and how I ran away with my tail tucked between my legs? I draw my hand back. "I'd prefer not to talk about that right now."

     Mya flinches, but nods and backs off. Only after she's gone does it occur to me that she's probably ten times more torn up about Edgar's death than I am, what with their relationship and all. She hadn't come over here for my benefit. Classic Crawford: always thinking about yourself.

     Ace passes by me as he paces back and forth along the beach. Liluye, who was keeping an vegetable-like Jewel company up until now, goes over to him and places a hand on his shoulder. "Relax," she half-whispers.